New Apple USB Mouse, Really!
MACWORLD Expo - New Apple USB Mouse, Really!
by , 2:15 PM EDT, July 19th, 2000
Apple has announced that it has redesigned its mouse and renamed it the Apple Pro Mouse. This new unit is replacing the infamous "hockey puck" that used to be the default USB mouse shipping with new Macs. The mouse was given a warm welcome during Steve Jobs' keynote address. Mr. Jobs wowed that crowd by giving all of the attendees a free unit at the end of the show. According to Apple:
Based on a high-precision optical tracking mechanism, the Apple Pro Mouse won’t stick or skip around — and you’ll never have to clean its cage. This could be the world’s most accurate pointing device, next to your finger. Because this mouse comes right to the point with an optical sensor that provides spot-on cursor control — and unparalleled accuracy.the new mouse is shipping with all new desktop units and is available fpr US$59 at the Apple Store. You can find more information about the new mouse at Apple's site.
Goodbye, mouse ball
The Apple Pro Mouse has no rollers or tracking mechanisms to wear out or clog, and no mouse balls to fish out and clean. Besides all that, there’s no distinguishable mouse button. Instead, the entire Apple Pro Mouse is in effect a super-sensitive button — the body pivots up and down to actuate the click mechanism. It even lets you fine-tune the way it clicks, with user-adjustable click tension. The elliptical shape equally accommodates right and left-handed users, and its glass-smooth surface makes it a joy to use. Would you need a special mouse pad for your Apple Pro Mouse? Not really. The optical mechanism works like a charm on just about any surface. About the only time you’d need a mouse pad is when you’re using the Apple Pro Mouse on a highly reflective glass or mirrored surface. In a case like this, a regular mouse pad will do nicely.
The Mac Observer Spin:It was about time, but we are happy to see Apple actually listening to its customers. The hockey puck mouse was not fine for everybody and it looks like the new rodent will change that. Steve Jobs actually acknolwedged this during his address, once again getting a laugh from the audience.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Thu,7:59 PM
- Carl Icahn Isn’t Wrong about Apple in China
- 5:54 PM
- House Passes Email Search Warrant Bill
- 3:20 PM
- Roxio Toast 14 Titanium for Mac: $49
- 3:00 PM
- Griffin’s BreakSafe USB-C Cable Replicates MagSafe For the Apple MacBook
- 2:32 PM
- Bad Move: FBI won’t Share San Bernardino iPhone Hack with Apple
- 1:23 PM
- Dr. Mac’s Deeper Look into Budget-Priced VR Headsets
- 12:00 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-04-28: The Developer Side of Apple Conferences
- 10:50 AM
- CareKit’s Strong Suit may be Peer Support Apps
- 10:00 AM
- The Best and Worst Analyst Questions from Apple’s Q2 2016 Conference Call
- Wed,5:42 PM
- Sheriff Says Death of Man in Apple HQ ‘Isolated,’ that No One Else Is at Risk
- 4:48 PM
- John McAfee Invokes ‘Crazy Ones’ and Steve Jobs for Libertarian President Commercial