LaCie Releases 48GB PocketDrive
MWNY - LaCie Releases 48GB PocketDrive
by , 4:00 PM EDT, July 18th, 2001
At MACWORLD this week, LaCie has announced a new 48GB PocketDrive. The new drive features both USB and FireWire interface assuring maximum speed and compatibility, and is designed as a mobile storage solution for multimedia professionals and hobbyists. According to LaCie:
LaCie reinforced its lead in the mobile storage market today with two major announcements on its highly successful PocketDrive line. By combining the new FireWire-to-IDE bridge developed by LaCie with high-performance ATA 66 disks, the 10GB, 20GB and 30GB PocketDrives now provide transfer rates of up to 35MB/s—twice as fast as traditional FireWire disks. The new 48GB PocketDrive, which is making its debut at LaCie's Macworld Booth #1913 this week, will also achieve transfer rates of up to 35MB/s.
Measuring only 3.5" x 5.75" x 1" and weighing less than a pound, LaCie's PocketDrives provide Gigabytes of capacity in an exceptionally small form factor. The new 48GB PocketDrive can store more than 20 hours of MPEG-2 video, more than 70 hours of CD-quality audio or a stack of text documents more than half-a-mile high.
Offering a combination of high capacities, mobility and convenience, the LaCie PocketDrives have quickly become very popular among content developers, illustrators, audio/video professionals and people on-the-go. With both Universal Serial Bus (USB) and FireWireČ (IEEE 1394) support, or "U&I" (LaCie's acronym and trademark for the dual-support capability), the versatile drives provide users with an easy means of expanding the storage capacity of USB-equipped computers such as Apple iMacs, and iBooks; and FireWire systems such as the Macintosh G4 workstations and G4 Cubes, PowerBooks and the iMacDV systems.
The FireWire and USB buses make the LaCie PocketDrives hot-pluggable--they mount automatically as soon as they are connected and can be removed or swapped without having to shutdown or reboot the system.
In addition, because the PocketDrive is compatible with all FireWire or USB-equipped machines, users can quickly share the contents of the entire drive with others--regardless of their operating system. The capacity and performance of LaCie's pocket-sized hard drives also make them ideal for full backups of an internal drive, including a bootable operating system.
The LaCie 48GB PocketDrive is available for US$849. You can find more information about the full line of PocketDrives at the LaCie Web site, or visit them at MACWORLD booth 1913.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Mon,7:25 PM
- How to Trace Drawings and Photos on Your iPad Pro
- 7:10 PM
- CompTIA-IT Certification Career Advancement Bundle: $59
- 5:50 PM
- Jeremy Clarkson’s Video Pitches Amazon Prime Air
- 5:26 PM
- MGG 581: Hints and Allegations for Cyber Monday
- 3:55 PM
- NSA Ends Bulk Phone Record Collection
- 3:42 PM
- One Analyst Thinks Apple Had Best Black Friday ‘in Its Entire History’
- 3:00 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview With Naomi Pearce From Pearce Communications
- 2:09 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-11-30: NSA Data Collection Changes, Amazon Instant Video on Apple TV
- 1:47 PM
- Apple Music Beta Comes to Sonos on December 15th
- 10:27 AM
- Apple Sued for Wiping iPhone Data at Genius Bar
- 9:26 AM
- Amazon Feedback Says Prime Video Coming to Apple TV