Apple Systems To Ship With Mac OS X As Default OS
MWSF - Apple Systems To Ship With Mac OS X As Default OS
by , 2:30 PM EST, January 7th, 2002
At MACWORLD Expo today, Steve Jobs announced that Apple will make Mac OS X the default OS on all Macs, effective immediately. According to Apple:
“The time is now right for most Mac users to make Mac OS X their primary operating system,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Mac OS X is the world’s most advanced operating system, marrying the power of UNIX with the simplicity and elegance of the Mac. With thousands of native third-party applications and support for almost every popular digital device on the planet, it’s now time to make the switch.”
Mac OS X has been included on Macs since May of 2001, but this marks the first time it will be the default bootable OS on shipping machines. Mac OS 9 will still be included and can be used just like it is today, either in Classic mode or as a standalone OS.
The Mac Observer Spin:Make no mistake about it, this is big news. Mind share and market share both depend on Mac OS X being the default OS, not to mention developer confidence In one fell swoop, Apple has finally delivered the message that if you want to make software for the Mac, it needs to be OS X compatible. Apple hadn't given any specific indication as when it would make this move, but we think it was about three months earlier than had been originally planned. That's speculation on our part, but it's sound speculation.
- Tue,7:47 PM
- Handmade Leather Lightning iPhone Chargers
- 7:34 PM
- VMware Fusion 8 Benchmarks vs. Fusion 7 and Boot Camp
- 6:30 PM
- Apple Doesn’t Have to Make the ‘Best’ TV Shows to Be Successful
- 3:30 PM
- Vidity: A Potential UHD/4KTV Game Changer - Will Apple Play?
- 2:48 PM
- All-Inclusive iOS 9 & Swift 2 Course Bundle: $49
- 1:14 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-09-01: The Big Apple TV Studio Debate
- 11:52 AM
- iPhone Jailbreakers Hit with ID Stealing Hack
- 10:14 AM
- Maybe it’s Time for Apple’s Own TV Studio
- Mon,7:38 PM
- Tidal Accuses Apple of Blocking Drake Benefit Stream, but Not According to Drake
- 4:58 PM
- Where Did iTunes Match go for non-Apple Music Subscribers?
- 4:44 PM
- Supercharge Your Mac App Bundle: $39.99
- 4:15 PM
- How to Manage the Secret Software That Google Chrome Installs on Your Mac