QuickTime Quick Picks - Dancing, Shooting, Fighting, & More
by , 10:00 AM EDT, September 19th, 2002
Every week, Vern Seward takes a look at Apple's latest offerings at the QuickTime Trailer site, letting your know what's new.
OK, it's a silly name for a movie, but Ballistic:Ecks vs Sever looks like it could be a decent action flick. One has to remember that you go to an action movie to see action; don't expect moving emotional conflict, sensitive moments showing a couple kicking through Autumn leaves, or wrenching death scenes of the person you just spent a better part of an hour getting to know. Expect to see explosions, car chases, and some cool butt-kicking. To that end, the Ballistic:Ecks vs Sever folks have released a clip of the movie action being filmed. Sorry, no bloodletting in this clip, just Lucy Liu and Antonio Banderas mocking a fight for the cameras. It kind of looks like they're dancing. It's interesting.
If you are looking for something a bit more emotionally fulfilling, The Dancer Upstairs may be just your ticket. John Malkovich directs this story of love set against a country in the midst of turmoil. Javier Bardem plays a police detective searching for the leader of a Peruvian terrorist organization. The trailer offers up some great visuals. Mr. Malkovich may have a small hit on his hands.
Maybe you need action of a different sort. No problem. Check out Phone Booth. Imagine this: you're walking down a crowded street and, as you pass a phone booth, the phone inside rings. Curious, you step in, pick up the receiver and say, "Hello?" The voice on the other end tells you he has a high powered rifle aimed at you, that you must do what he says, and to prove his point, he shoots a passerby. What do you do? Freaky, huh? Phone Booth, starring Colin Farrell and Forrest Whitaker looks like it will be one of those nail-biting thrillers. Bring it on!
Other trailers to see:
- Friday After Next: The first Friday movie was actually pretty good. Ice Cube and the then unknown Chris Tucker did a good job of spoofing life in the Hood. The Next Friday movie (that's what is was called, Next Friday) also starred Ice Cube but replaced the now-too-big Chris Tucker with the relatively unknown Mike Epps. The movie bombed. Now, Cube and Epps will make another attempt with Friday After Next. Hmmm.
- Brown Sugar: Taye Diggs and Sanaa Lathan team up in this romantic comedy about two childhood friends who grow up together but never seem to be able to get together. Queen Latifah also stars. Now, this looks good.
- Pokemon 4ever: It is surprising how many adult Pokemon fans there are out there. If you, um... your youngster is a fan than you'll, er, he'll get a kick out of this trailer.
That's it for this week. If your looking for more QuickTime goodies check out the Apple/Expo, Paris Keynote featuring Steve Jobs (who else?).
- Sun,12:04 PM
- MGG 550: Photos Isn’t Always Easy
- Sat,5:29 PM
- Apple Not Allowing Fart Apps on Apple Watch
- 4:23 PM
- How to Convert iPhone Photos to Black And White
- 3:48 PM
- Quick Tip: How to Take an Apple Watch Screenshot
- 10:30 AM
- Three Scenarios for Home Automation
- Fri,9:44 PM
- Sony and Samsung Both Offered to Pay James Bond to Use Their Phones
- 6:39 PM
- XTC In-Ear Genuine Wood Headphones: $23.99
- 6:30 PM
- Four Things To Get You Started With Apple Watch
- 3:55 PM
- Apple’s iPhone 7 Will Make Current iPhones Obsolete
- 1:50 PM
- Apple Offers Online Personal Setup Assistance for Apple Watch
- 1:22 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-04-24: Getting Inside Apple Watch
- 11:24 AM
- iFixit Apple Watch Tear Down Kills Hopes of Upgrades