Newcomer Giga Designs Wants to Accelerate Your Old G4
From The Floor - Newcomer Giga Designs Wants to Accelerate Your Old G4
by , 3:45 PM EST, January 10th, 2003
The good news is that Macs keep getting faster and faster. The bad news is that if you have an older Mac, it seems to get slower and slower. Giga Designs, a newcomer to the Mac accelerator market, demonstrated their products at this week's show. We spent a few moments with Tim Ericksen, Product Manager, to learn more about their products.
Tim took one of their units out of the anti-static bag, so we could check it out in detail. We immediately noticed that the unit was very heavy. This is due to the fact that they use copper, rather than aluminum, for their heat sink. Although copper is more expensive, it provides better heat dissipation. Tim also noted that, unlike some other products, they don't require any additional software; you just install the unit and start computing.
The products are compatible with most PowerMac G4 models, ranging from the 350 MHz PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics (Sawtooth) all the way to the PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 2002 models. Currently, there are 800 MHz G4 and 1 GHz G4 models, ranging in price from $299 to $559. All units sport a 3 year warranty.
The Mac Observer Spin:The Mac accelerator market has seen many companies come and go, so we hope that these folks have carved out a small enough niche of the market to stay successful. Their product looks great from an engineering point of view. They also have an attention-getting ad campaign. We spotted two bumper stickers in theri booth, one that said "Have You found the G SPOT?" the other saying "When Your G SPOT is spinning, We know you will be grinning!"
- Sat,7:27 PM
- Fun Rant about Those Who Claim Apple is the Copier
- 12:27 PM
- How to Make Your iPhone 6 Work with Your AT&T MicroCell
- Fri,7:51 PM
- iOS 8 App Store Bundles Explained
- 7:23 PM
- WSJ Lines Up Tim Cook to Kick Off Inaugural WSJDLive Conference
- 5:42 PM
- Learn Apple’s New Swift Programming Language for $19
- 5:00 PM
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus - the Word That Shall Not be Spoken: Phablet
- 1:44 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-09-19
- 11:20 AM
- Launch Day Survey Says iPhone 6 Plus is the Go-to Choice
- 10:35 AM
- AT&T’s Next Plan May be the Cheapest Way to Buy an iPhone, Despite the Hype
- 6:40 AM
- iOS 8: How to Change Safari’s Default Search Provider to DuckDuckGo
- 2:45 AM
- First iPhone 6 Sold in Perth Dropped by Kid During TV Interview
- Thu,10:22 PM
- Dragon Dictate for Mac 4: $99.95