Chimera 0.7 Delayed While The Project Searches For A New Name
Mac Browser News - Chimera 0.7 Delayed While The Project Searches For A New Name
by , 8:00 AM EST, February 18th, 2003
The release of Chimera 0.7 has been delayed by legal issues surrounding its name, according to an entry in Mike Pinkerton's weblog. The developer explained that The Chimera Project is seeking a new name for its open-source, Mozilla-based Web browser. This sheds light on an earlier story in which we reported that Chimera nightly builds had been switched to version 0.7 and subsequently reverted to 0.6. From Pinkerton's weblog:
For a variety of reasons, the details of which I certainly won't go into here because I'll cause myself to blow a gasket, we can no longer legally use the name Chimera. We figured it would be easy to come up with another name and just move on. That was several months ago and many, many painful meetings complete with Chinese water torture and thumbscrews. The net result: we still don't have a good name. Oh, coming up with a name that doesn't suck is easy. We've got plenty. What's hard is coming up with a name that doesn't suck and clears legal . That, my dear readers, is close to impossible.
In this weblog entry, Pinkerton said two names currently under consideration are "Camino" and "iVoyage."
The Mac Observer Spin:We're sorry to see this popular browser held back by legal issues. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Regardless of the outcome, we look forward to the next release of the application, and The Mac Observer will keep readers apprised of the situation as more information becomes available.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Tue,1:38 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-05-31: EU Social Network Censorship, VocalIQ and Siri
- 9:24 AM
- VocalIQ is Apple’s Key to Keeping Siri Relevant
- Mon,8:00 AM
- Enjoy Your Memorial Day
- Sun,11:53 AM
- MGG 607: The Pocket Dial Conspiracy
- Fri,9:47 PM
- The Pros and Cons of a Proprietary Apple Car Charger
- 6:59 PM
- VirnetX Wants to Shut Down FaceTime, but it Won’t Happen
- 5:45 PM
- Star Wars: Force Awakens Soundtrack LPs Will Feature Built-in Holograms—Really
- 5:45 PM
- It Could Happen - Universally Autonomous Cars Could Fail in the Marketplace
- 5:36 PM
- Record Your Mac’s Screen with iShowU Instant: $12
- 1:49 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-05-27: Apple’s Car Charging Plans, Eddy Cue’s Time Warner Deal
- 11:50 AM
- iPhone SE: Is Less the New More?