Avid Touts Xpress, Holds Ground Against Final Cut Line
From the Show Floor - Avid Touts Xpress, Holds Ground Against Final Cut Line
by , 11:30 AM EDT, July 18th, 2003
Avid is alive and well at Macworld Creative Pro, showing off two versions of its video editing software, Xpress Pro and Xpress DV 3.5, as well as Mojo, a real-time, frame-accurate D-to-A and A-to-D conversion breakout box. We took time to speak with Steve Chazin, Senior Manager of Product Marketing for Avid, to find out more about Avid's Mac offerings, and the company's take on the DV market.
Xpress is aimed squarely at the same market as Final Cut Pro, but Avid stoutly claims that their product, not Final Cut, is the industry benchmark for semi-professional video editing. The company has been around since the late 1980s making ultra-high-end systems, and entered the PC-video market in the late 90s with their first version of Xpress. Both Xpress and Final Cut are in their fourth generations.
Avid takes the attitude that Xpress borders on slumming in the video-editing world. After all, an Xpress/Mojo setup would cost a mere US$2,600; higher-end Avid solutions can run up above US$10,000. "For the rest of us," as Steve Jobs might put it, Apple covers the range from US$0 (with iMovie) to US$1,000 (with Final Cut Pro).
In this sense, Avid sees the Mac video market as very healthy, though Mr. Chazin did tell us that "Apple hasn't left any room for Adobe," referring to Adobe's recent cancellation of the Mac version of Premiere. Even without Premier, amateurs, experts, and everyone in between has access to a solid product.
Of course, in that sweet spot at around US$1,000, there seems to be some good old fashioned competition, and that can't be a bad thing.
- Wed,8:40 PM
- ACM 274: LOL Windows 10, Privacy Has Value, Protesting and Jailbreaking
- 5:25 PM
- iOS 8: News In Notification Center
- 4:19 PM
- The Name Your Own Price Learn To Code Bundle
- 4:11 PM
- Waterfield Spinn Pouch Case for iPhone 6/6 Plus: Excellence in Leather
- 3:40 PM
- ‘Someone’ Targets Hong Kong Protesters Using Jailbroken iPhones with Malware
- 2:55 PM
- iOS 8: Make Cellular Phone Calls from Your iPad Using Handoff
- 2:01 PM
- New Aerial Shot Shows Apple Campus Construction Underway
- 1:40 PM
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Dr. Mac’s Final Showdown
- 1:23 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-10-01
- 11:02 AM
- Report Claims Gold iPad Coming Soon
- 10:31 AM
- Evercore Raises AAPL Target on Strong iPhone 6 Demand
- 10:03 AM
- Apple Tells Developers to Submit their OS X Yosemite-compatible Apps