Apple Updates OS X To 10.2.8; Java To 1.4.1
Apple Updates OS X To 10.2.8; Java To 1.4.1
by , 6:15 PM EDT, September 22nd, 2003
Apple has posted an update to OS X and to Java. The OS X update brings the version level to 10.2.8 and includes reliability and functionality enhancements as well as the latest security updates. From Apple:
The 10.2.8 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, services and technologies: Audio, Bluetooth, Classic compatibility, Finder, Graphics, LDAP, Power Management, Safari, and FireWire and USB device compatibility.
The update also provides updated security services and includes the latest Security Updates.
From Apple's KnowlegdeBase Web site:
These are some of the enhancements that are a part of the Mac OS X 10.2.8 Update:
- Windows on external displays connected to some PowerBook computers are drawn better.
- The Bluetooth menu bar item works better when a Bluetooth USB adapter is disconnected and reconnected.
- Addresses a situation in which an external FireWire storage device would not become available (mount) and this message would appear: "A disk attempting to mount as 'unknown' has failed. Please use Disk Utility to check the disk."
- Addresses an issue in which some Bluetooth devices may not be available after the computer wakes from sleep. Addresses an issue in which some Bluetooth keyboards may show a delayed response when you press a key after the computer wakes from sleep.
- Addresses an issue in which some iBook computers could make a clicking sound when using Mac OS X 10.2.5 or 10.2.6.
- Reduces a potential delay when removing some devices from the Bluetooth pairing list.
- Addresses a potential issue in which an audio application can unexpectedly quit when a USB- or FireWire-based audio device is disconnected.
- Bluetooth preferences correctly displays the Bluetooth menu bar item's status if the item was enabled elsewhere.
- Includes several enhancements for Safari.
- Includes support for USB 2.0 devices, including PCI and PC cards for computers that do not include USB 2.0 hardware.
The JAVA update includes enhancements for Safari and stability. From Apple's KnowledgeBase Web site:
The Java 1.4.1 Update 1 adds the following enhancements:
- Improved Java applet support for Safari and other web browsers that support the Java Internet Plug-In.
- Improved drawing correctness and performance.
- Changes to Java 1.3.1 that provide support for Oracle11i client applications on Mac OS X.
- Improved stability, memory usage, and correctness.
You can download the OS X and JAVA updates using the Software Update Control Panel in OS X. Use the above links to Apple's Knowledge Base articles for Web downloads for the updates. The 10.2.8 update weighs in at 40.6 MB, while the Java 1.4.1 update is a 39.7 MB download.
The Mac Observer Spin:Absolutely outstanding. Updates are always appreciated.
Since this is OS X update version 10.2.8, we wonder if the next update will be 10.3? Can't you feel the anticipation rising?
In the meantime, this version means that there isn't much more that Apple is going to do to OS X version 10.2, which means that we should have a very stable, very efficient OS. Do you think it is? Drop us a line and tell us what you think.
Warning: include(/usr/local/etc/httpd/sites/macobserver.com/htdocs/forums/extension.inc) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/bbm/macobserver.com/ee2/www/htdocs/comments/comments.php on line 108
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/usr/local/etc/httpd/sites/macobserver.com/htdocs/forums/extension.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php') in /var/www/bbm/macobserver.com/ee2/www/htdocs/comments/comments.php on line 108
Warning: include(/usr/local/etc/httpd/sites/macobserver.com/htdocs/forums/common.) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/bbm/macobserver.com/ee2/www/htdocs/comments/comments.php on line 110
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/usr/local/etc/httpd/sites/macobserver.com/htdocs/forums/common.' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php') in /var/www/bbm/macobserver.com/ee2/www/htdocs/comments/comments.php on line 110
Warning: include(/usr/local/etc/httpd/sites/macobserver.com/htdocs/forums/includes/bbcode.) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/bbm/macobserver.com/ee2/www/htdocs/comments/comments.php on line 112
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/usr/local/etc/httpd/sites/macobserver.com/htdocs/forums/includes/bbcode.' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php') in /var/www/bbm/macobserver.com/ee2/www/htdocs/comments/comments.php on line 112
Fatal error: Call to a member function sql_query() on a non-object in /var/www/bbm/macobserver.com/ee2/www/htdocs/comments/comments.php on line 532
- Wed, 8:28 PM
- Apple Context Machine Podcast - ACM 205: Apple Tax Hearings & Samsung’s Delusions
- 5:23 PM
- Product News - Apple Updates iTunes & QuickTime for Windows, Windows 64
- 2:50 PM
- Quick Look Review - Designed by M’s AL13 Aluminum Bumper Is For The iPhone 5 Purist
- 2:02 PM
- News - Penguin Agrees to $75M Payout in ebook Price Fixing Settlement
- 1:00 PM
- In-Depth Review - An iPhone Veteran Evaluates a Samsung Galaxy Note II
- 11:13 AM
- TMO Appearances - Jeff Gamet Discusses Apple Taxes on MacVoices
- 10:25 AM
- Analysis - Corporate Tax Reform Needs to Start in the US, not Ireland
- 8:25 AM
- TMO Quick Tip - iOS Mail: Archive or Delete Individual Emails
- Tue, 8:16 PM
- Analysis - Apple to Senate: We Comply with the Law - Change the Law
- 5:10 PM
- The Back Page - Samsung’s Delusions of Relevance
- 2:11 PM
- Native Instrument Releases Abbey Road 50s Drummer
- 12:47 PM
- News - Senator Paul: Stop Bullying Apple