Gartner: iPod, Portable Devices a Corporate Security Risk
TMO Reports - Gartner: iPod, Portable Devices a Corporate Security Risk
by , 5:00 PM EDT, July 7th, 2004
Companies should consider banning portable storage devices such as Apple's iPod from corporate personal computers because they can spread viruses or steal critical corporate data, according to the research company Gartner, Inc.
The report, obtained by The Mac Observer and issued this week, does not recommend outright the banning of such devices from office environments, but does make it clear that portable USB and FireWire-based products open up businesses to a whole range of risks and that the protection of sensitive information is more important than ever.
The report points out the wide range of such portable devices, including smart media cards, memory sticks, compact flash, keychain drives as well as portable MP3 players. Small portable storage products can bypass perimeter defenses like firewalls and introduce malware such as Trojans or viruses onto company networks, said the report.
"Companies are at risk of losing intellectual property and other critical corporate data," the report said. "Portable storage devices are ideal for anyone intending to steal sensitive and valuable data. Employees may also be responsible for losing data if they inadvertently mislay these devices."
Gartner recommends companies "forbid the use of uncontrolled, privately owned devices with corporate PCs." In addition, the company suggests the adoption of "personal firewalls to limit activity on USB ports", investigate products that can control ports selectively, and "consider employing mobile data protection products to encrypt corporate or sensitive data."
The report ends by telling businesses that they "must ensure that the right procedures and technologies are adopted to securely manage the use of portable storage devices like USB 'keychain' drives. This will help to limit damage from malicious code, loss of proprietary information or intellectual property, and consequent lawsuits and loss of reputation."
- Fri,3:10 PM
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer on iTunes
- 1:18 PM
- Apple Black Friday Deals Include Gift Cards for Macs, iPhones, More
- Thu,8:00 AM
- Happy Thanksgiving from The Mac Observer!
- Wed,9:36 PM
- Apple Reportedly Building Chinese Sapphire Plant with Foxconn
- 8:40 PM
- ACM 282: The Steampunk, Sapphire, and Apple Watch Episode
- 7:46 PM
- Melissa Holt on MacJury’s Holiday Gift Guide 2
- 4:42 PM
- Steampunk USB Flash Drives with Motorized Gears - Really!
- 4:05 PM
- Black Friday 2014: The Best Mac Deals
- 3:10 PM
- iOS 8: Control Which Apps Can Access Your Private Data
- 2:50 PM
- The Name Your Own Price Must-Have Mac Bundle
- 1:36 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-11-26
- 10:46 AM
- 5 iPhone Apps to Cut Your Thanksgivings Stress