Apple Calls Real iPod "Hacker"; Cautions Harmony Users
TMO Reports - Apple Calls Real iPod "Hacker"; Cautions Harmony Users
by , 8:40 AM EDT, July 29th, 2004
Apple Computer responded Thursday to the imminent release of software from RealNetworks that allows customers of its Rhapsody online music service to play songs on the Apple iPod, calling Real's move "the tactics and ethics of a hacker" and cautioning users they could be blocked from playing music on the iPod.
In a brief statement, Apple said, "we are stunned that RealNetworks has adopted the tactics and ethics of a hacker to break into the iPod, and we are investigating the implications of their actions under the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and other laws. We strongly caution Real and their customers that when we update our iPod software from time to time it is highly likely that Real's Harmony technology will cease to work with current and future iPods."
On Monday, Real announced its Harmony software that when released will allow Windows users to play music bought and downloaded from its online music store on many portable music players, including the iPod, the company said. Apple has refused to license its Fairplay Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology to any other music download service, but Real said it had found a way around using Fairplay to make its files work on the popular iPod, which Apple says controls 50% of the portable music player industry at present.
RealNetworks has hinted as of late that it is in discussions with other online music services to license Harmony.
A spokeswoman for RealNetworks was not immediately available for comment on the Apple statement to The Mac Observer.
- Thu,5:40 PM
- MGG 512: Two Zero Zero Hexes Your Favorite Geeks
- 4:41 PM
- TwistedWave Audio Recorder and Editor for Mac: $20
- 3:47 PM
- Apple’s Yosemite Beta: Don’t Use TRIM with SSD
- 2:42 PM
- Apple’s Yosemite Beta Site Conks Out Over Heavy Demand
- 2:13 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-07-24
- 1:45 PM
- Sweet Design: the CODE Donut Bluetooth Speaker
- 12:35 PM
- Apple Releases OS X Yosemite Public Beta
- 11:39 AM
- Apple, Visa Deal Could Make iPhone 6 Your Next Wallet
- 10:25 AM
- Canaccord: Get Ready for Big iPhone 6 Sales
- 8:57 AM
- Swatch: We Aren’t Making Apple’s iWatch
- Wed,7:35 PM
- ACM 264: Diving Deep into Amazon’s Kindle Unlimited
- 6:10 PM
- Apple Granted ‘iTime’ Patent for Wearable Mobile Electronic Device (Plus Wristband)