Merrill Analyst Still Expects Flash-Based iPod in Early 2005
TMO Reports - Merrill Analyst Still Expects Flash-Based iPod in Early 2005
by , 2:00 PM EST, November 29th, 2004
In a research note obtained by The Mac Observer, Mr. Milunovich wrote that he believed the new device will be priced between US$149 and $199 and that it could possibly be announced at Macworld Expo San Francisco beginning January 10. He made the same prediction back on October 25 in a commentary first reported by TMO.
Mr. Milunovich wrote that the MP3 flash market is five times the size of the hard disk drive-based player market in units and about two times in revenue. It is also fragmented with the leader, Samsung, at only an 8 percent share. The flash MP3 market is expected to be $2.6 billion in 2004, slightly larger than the HDD player market at $2.3 billion. Combined, the music player market could be $8.1 billion by 2006.
"This is a market Apple should want to participate in because it will pull new customers into the iPod/iTunes 'ecosystem,' he wrote. "We believe consumers will hesitate to switch once they become accustomed to the iPod's scrollwheel or have purchased a number of iTunes (which only work on iPods). The land grab is on."
It should be noted that Mr. Milunovich was also the same analyst who predicted the iPod photo would not debut until sometime next year. Instead, it was announced within a week of his original prediction on October 25.
- Wed,3:00 PM
- OS X Yosemite: The Quintessential Review
- 1:25 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-10-22
- 10:55 AM
- AT&T Wireless Offers iPad Air 2, mini 3 for $100 off
- 9:55 AM
- Apple Launches Maps Connect, Allows Users To Update Info
- Tue,8:51 PM
- GTAT Announces ‘Amicable Parting’ of Ways with Apple
- 6:50 PM
- How I Came to Own and Sell a TAM Probably Owned by Jony Ive
- 5:01 PM
- Adobe KnowHow: Learn Photography From The Best for $29.99
- 4:49 PM
- How To Get Ready For iOS 8.1 [Update]
- 2:59 PM
- Chuck La Tournous and Chris Breen to Speak at NJMUG’s 30th Anniversary Tuesday
- 2:24 PM
- Don’t Upgrade to Yosemite or iOS 8.1 Before You Read This Column
- 2:06 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-10-21
- 12:29 PM
- How Apple Pay Mitigates Breach Fatigue