Merrill Analyst Still Expects Flash-Based iPod in Early 2005
TMO Reports - Merrill Analyst Still Expects Flash-Based iPod in Early 2005
by , 2:00 PM EST, November 29th, 2004
In a research note obtained by The Mac Observer, Mr. Milunovich wrote that he believed the new device will be priced between US$149 and $199 and that it could possibly be announced at Macworld Expo San Francisco beginning January 10. He made the same prediction back on October 25 in a commentary first reported by TMO.
Mr. Milunovich wrote that the MP3 flash market is five times the size of the hard disk drive-based player market in units and about two times in revenue. It is also fragmented with the leader, Samsung, at only an 8 percent share. The flash MP3 market is expected to be $2.6 billion in 2004, slightly larger than the HDD player market at $2.3 billion. Combined, the music player market could be $8.1 billion by 2006.
"This is a market Apple should want to participate in because it will pull new customers into the iPod/iTunes 'ecosystem,' he wrote. "We believe consumers will hesitate to switch once they become accustomed to the iPod's scrollwheel or have purchased a number of iTunes (which only work on iPods). The land grab is on."
It should be noted that Mr. Milunovich was also the same analyst who predicted the iPod photo would not debut until sometime next year. Instead, it was announced within a week of his original prediction on October 25.
- Mon,2:33 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-11-24
- 11:24 AM
- FCC Chairman on Net Neutrality Rules: We’re Going to get Sued
- 9:30 AM
- Sponsor: MacX DVD Ripper Pro Giveaway
- 9:12 AM
- Apple Launches Apps for (RED) Campaign for World AIDS Day
- Sat,10:30 AM
- iPhoneography 101: Essential iPhone Camera Apps
- Fri,6:57 PM
- Apple Makes ‘Things for iPad’ Free for a Week
- 6:47 PM
- Judge Approves Apple iBooks $450 Million Antitrust Settlement
- 5:54 PM
- 100 AA and 52 AAA Duracell Batteries for $59.99 [Extended]
- 5:18 PM
- Use a PDF to See How Big Apple Watches Really Are
- 4:45 PM
- Why Every Estimate for Apple Watch Sales in 2015 is Completely Wrong
- 4:30 PM
- ‘Kingdom Rush Origins’ Tower Defender Released for iPhone and iPad
- 1:42 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-11-21