TMO Gift Guide - Gifts for People Who Love People who Love Their iPod
by , 7:00 AM EST, December 10th, 2004
Here are some great gift ideas for the iPod lover in your life:
If you love them a lot, nothing says it better than a brand new iPod. The most popular models this season are sure to be the amazing iPod photo with its luscious color display ($499-$599); the bold, red and black iPod U2 Special Edition ($349); and, of course, the ubiquitous and adorable iPod mini, available in five delicious colors ($249 each).
Prices and direct links:
- iPod mini - $249 ($234.14- Amazon (add to shopping cart to see price))
- iPod 20 GB - $299 ($275.04 - Amazon (add to shopping cart to see price))
- iPod 40 GB - $399 ($367.04 - Amazon (add to shopping cart to see price))
- iPod Photo 40 GB - $499 - ($474.05 - Amazon (add to shopping cart to see price))
- iPod Photo 60 GB - $599 ($569.05 - Amazon (add to shopping cart to see price))
- iPod U2 Special Edition - $349 ($331.55 - Amazon (add to shopping cart to see price))
Of course, you can also buy all those iPods at the Apple Store.
For those you don't love quite that much, or can't afford to love quite that much, don't despair-there are plenty of great gifts that won't break the bank.
Among the least expensive and cleverest are Apple's iPod Socks ($29 for a set of 6). I thought they were a joke at first, but having received a set as a gift, I assure you they are not only real, but much cooler than you think. The six sox-green, purple, grey, blue, orange, and pink-fit any iPod, keeping it safe from scratches and nicks. My wife and kids think theirs are adorable.
Manufacturer: Westshore Craftworks
Price: $29.95 (and up)
Perhaps the most unique iPod accessory I've ever seen is Westshore Craftworks iDockCovers, beautiful custom made covers for iPod docks. They're crafted from the finest hardwoods and hand-finished in traditional wood tone and bright, glossy "electric guitar" finishes. Available for both Apple and HP (Hewlett Packard) iPods with a Dock, prices start at $29.95 plus $5.00 shipping and handling. This is one of the most elegant gift items I've seen this year-check them out.
Product: EARS EM3
Manufacturer: Future Sonics
Price: $159 (On sale for $99)
Or, if your iPod fan has discriminating ears, consider some replacement headphones for their iPod. While the ear buds included with iPods are sufficient for most people, a great set of headphones make your iPod sound even better. I'm partial to my Grado SR60s, which are traditional-style headphones that sell for around $70, and the Future Sonics EARS EM3, a pair of in-ear monitors currently on sale for $99 (regularly $159). The Grados can't be beat if you don't mind bulky over-the-head style headphones; the Future Sonics EARS are great sounding, extremely comfortable, and a great value at the current sale price of $99.
|Grado SR60||Future Sonics
Product: HP Printable Tatoos
Last but not least, HP's Printable Tattoos for your iPod (10 for $14.99) are a clever, creative, inexpensive way to make any Click Wheel iPod stand out in a crowd and protect it from dings and scratches. Create your own design in any graphics program or download pre made tattoos from the HP web site, then print them on most inkjet printers. One package of tattoos should last a long time; each will stay affixed for about a month.
Printable Tatoos for your iPod
Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus is a leading authority on Mac OS and the author of 47 computer books, including Mac OS X Panther For Dummies and GarageBand For Dummies.
Check out our other 2004 Gift Guide's, too!
- TMO Gift Guide - Gifts for Macheads and Podheads, by Gary Randazzo
- TMO Gift Guide - Five Gadgets for your Mac, by John F. Braun
- TMO Gift Guide - Gifts Cheap on Price; High in Value, by Brad Gibson
- TMO Gift Guide - Gifts For The Technarian In Your Life, by Vern Seward
- Computing with Bifocals - Software to Put Under the Tree, Part II, by Nancy Gravley
- Computing with Bifcoals - Software to Put Under the Tree, Part I, by Nancy Gravley
- Fri,8:30 PM
- Silicon Valley Sources Refute Elon Musk Claims about Apple
- 6:08 PM
- Two Minute Clip from Steve Jobs Film where Woz Asks Steve What He Does (Video)
- 5:52 PM
- Dark Castle and System 6 Emulator in Your Browser
- 5:31 PM
- Skybell Wi-Fi Doorbell: $149
- 5:15 PM
- Tesla’s Elon Musk Rant at Apple Means He’s on to Something Scary
- 1:57 PM
- AT&T Limits Wi-Fi Calling to iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s
- 1:38 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-10-09: Tesla Bags on Apple, AT&T’s Wi-Fi Calling
- 10:06 AM
- Elon Musk: Can’t Cut it at Tesla? Go Work for Apple
- 8:55 AM
- El Capitan: Hide Your Menu Bar!
- Thu,9:10 PM
- Apple on iPhone Battery Performance: You’re Measuring It Wrong
- 6:56 PM
- The Big Mac Bundle: $17.99
- 6:00 PM
- The Two Sides of Apple: Brilliance and Ennui