Bill Gates Experiences Three Windows Crashes During CES Keynote
TMO at CES - Bill Gates Experiences Three Windows Crashes During CES Keynote
by , 3:45 PM EST, January 6th, 2005
During his keynote address for the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, NV, Bill Gates experienced not one, not two, but three Windows crashes and glitches while showing off new products.
The Las Vegas Sun reported that Mr. Gates first ran intro trouble when trying to connect a new Nikon digital SLR camera to a Windows Media Center Edition PC through a WiFi connection. The result, however, was a frozen computer that wouldn't respond. Two attempts later, however, the demonstration went off without a hitch.
The next one came during a demonstration of a new game called Forza Motor Sport, when the PC the game was being run on actually went directly to the famed Blue Screen of Death.
The third problem occurred when Mr. Gates was unable to get a Tablet PC to connect to the Internet.
All of the problems were met with good natured laughter from Mr. Gates and the audience, and Conan O'Brien, who was co-hosting the event, even quipped "OK, and right now nine people are being fired," during one of the crashes.
Earlier in the presentation, Mr. O'Brien also joked: "I got too drunk, I woke up with a hooker. Bill got too drunk, he woke up with an Apple computer."
His Windows troubles hearkened back to the days of Windows 98, when Bill Gates experienced a Blue Screen of Death during the Chicago Comdex keynote in 1998. That crash made headlines around the geek world, but did not slow the adoption of Windows in the market place.
Even Apple CEO Steve Jobs has had his share of trouble during a keynote presentation at Macworld Tokyo in 1999. Mr. Jobs was attempting to demonstrate the ability to network boot 50 iMacs from a central server, but the units simply didn't work.
More recently, an effort to connect a camera to a Mac on stage resulted in a similar failure during a Macworld keynote.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Mon,8:00 AM
- Enjoy Your Memorial Day
- Sun,11:53 AM
- MGG 607: The Pocket Dial Conspiracy
- Fri,9:47 PM
- The Pros and Cons of a Proprietary Apple Car Charger
- 6:59 PM
- VirnetX Wants to Shut Down FaceTime, but it Won’t Happen
- 5:45 PM
- Star Wars: Force Awakens Soundtrack LPs Will Feature Built-in Holograms—Really
- 5:45 PM
- It Could Happen - Universally Autonomous Cars Could Fail in the Marketplace
- 5:36 PM
- Record Your Mac’s Screen with iShowU Instant: $12
- 1:49 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-05-27: Apple’s Car Charging Plans, Eddy Cue’s Time Warner Deal
- 11:50 AM
- iPhone SE: Is Less the New More?
- 10:44 AM
- Support for Anti-encryption Laws Crumbles
- Thu,11:02 PM
- HP Envy 34c Curved Display Video Review