Prosoft Engineering Introduces Drive Genius
TMO at MWSF - Prosoft Engineering Introduces Drive Genius
by , 3:50 PM EST, January 14th, 2005
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- ProSoft Engineering, maker of fine data rescue and backup products, was demonstrating a new product, Drive Genius, at this weeks' Macworld Expo. Greg Brewer, President & CEO, briefed us on the important features of this package meant to maintain, manage and optimize your hard drive.
Drive Genius starts off with several partitioning functions. What makes them notable is the resize and shift functions are on the fly and require no reformatting.
Next is a set of duplication and backup functions which can perform a 100% identical copy, and can do this in an efficient manner by not copying unused space.
Then there's a defragmentation function, which, unlike some other products, performs this optimization in small chunks to reduce the chance of total data corruption if the operation fails. Formatting allows one to format any type of device, such as USB flash drives, as an OS X partition.
Rounding things out are shred, preventive maintenance, repair, benchmarking and editing functions.
A feature comparison between Drive Genius and similar products such as TechTool and DiskWarrior puts Drive Genius at the top of the heap, at least for now (TMO has yet to do a performance comparison between the products).
Drive Genius is available immediately for US$79. Owners of Norton Utilities, TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior can get a cross-grade offer for $49.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Mon,6:42 PM
- TMO’s Guide to Buying Discounted iTunes Cards
- 5:45 PM
- Comcast Talks About Terabyte Data Caps & More
- 5:12 PM
- Bob LeVitus Will Present at SMMUG in Colorado Springs on May 9th
- 4:27 PM
- Blumoo Bluetooth Universal Remote: $52.99
- 4:18 PM
- iPhone Controlled Air Conditioner Looks, and is, Cool
- 3:00 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview With Intel Fellow Dr. Bruce Horn
- 1:55 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-05-02: Apple’s Next Big Thing, Icahn’s $AAPL Selloff
- 10:53 AM
- FBI Shows Fingerprints and Touch ID Aren’t Warrant-proof
- Sun,12:15 PM
- MGG 603: Pronunciation, Rants and The Joy of a Smaller Phone
- Fri,6:10 PM
- An Open Letter to Phil Schiller about iPhones, iPads, and Macs
- 5:30 PM
- New Products Apple Might Give Us While We Wait for the Car