Yahoo Close to Launching iTunes-like Music Service
TMO Reports - Yahoo Close to Launching iTunes-like Music Service
by , 10:00 AM EST, March 8th, 2005
Yahoo! is about to launch an online digital music store, and an iTunes-like player, according to various news reports.
The Mac Observer was also privey to similar reports from analysts who had been briefed by Yahoo last week. Analysts familiar with the service were shown software they described as very similar in style, design and layout to Apple's iTunes Music Store. Those same sources said Yahoo's service would match Apple's online pricing, offering a subscription service similar to that of Napster and launch by the end of March.
Yahoo is developing its own music player software, backed by MusicNet-provided downloads and subscriptions, that it plans to run alongside the recently purchased Musicmatch.
The buyout of Musicmatch by Yahoo brought the Web giant a well-regarded piece of jukebox software, a music download store similar to Apple's iTunes, a premium Net radio service with more than 160,000 subscribers, and a recently launched subscription service similar to RealNetworks' Rhapsody.
David Goldberg, who runs Yahoo's Launch digital music subsidiary, hinted in September of last year at large ambitions for the company's music service."We're making a big investment," he said at that time. "We want to be the major player in digital music."
- Fri, 5:06 PM
- ’Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Star Moses Ingram to Join Cast of Apple TV+ Series ‘Lady in the Lake’
- Fri, 4:31 PM
- Chris Evans Stuns the Internet By Upgrading His iPhone 6
- Fri, 4:12 PM
- Leaks Suggest Next AirPods Pro to Upgraded H1 Chip, Find My, Heart Rate Detection, USB-C and More
- Fri, 3:06 PM
- Rumors Suggest Apple to Announce 'Game-Changer' AR/MR Headset January 2023
- Fri, 3:05 PM
- Apple’s Back to School Promo Could Score You a $150 Gift Card
- Fri, 2:21 PM
- Apple-1 'Byte Shop' Model Goes for $375,000 at Thursday Auction
- Fri, 1:22 PM
- Code in iOS 16 Betas Hint at New Siri Remote for Apple TV
- Fri, 8:32 AM
- Apple’s Long Game in Mobile and Portable Computing; Choice and Versatility
- Fri, 7:32 AM
- Apple Music Student Plan Gets a Price Increase in US, UK and Canada
- Fri, 7:03 AM
- Google Chrome on iOS Gets Five New Features
- Thu, 5:40 PM
- Using Measurement Conversions in iOS 16
- Thu, 4:37 PM
- Apple TV+ Series 'Trying' Reveals Season 3 Trailer Before July Premiere