Consumer Reports: mini "Too Basic?"; Shuffle Given Good Marks
First on TMO - Consumer Reports: mini "Too Basic?"; Shuffle Given Good Marks
by , 7:00 AM EDT, April 18th, 2005
The independent, nonprofit consumer testing group reports in its May issue on two of Apple's newest products, announced in early January. Its conclusions were neither positive or negative toward the Mac mini, but primarily upbeat about the iPod shuffle.
Looking at their overall value, Consumer Reports testers questioned whether the Mac mini at either US$499 or $599 are "a little too basic."
While CR concluded the PowerPC G4 processor and its standard 256 megabytes of memory is "adequate for basic computing," the added expense of a mouse, monitor, and keyboard could "hike the mini's price past $1,000".
"Other upgrades, such as increasing memory or adding stereo speakers or a wireless network card, may well be a necessary added expense," CR testers said.
The magazine said the shuffle was "the lightest player we've seen" and offered "the performance that makes full-sized iPods so appealing."
CR ranked the shuffle's ear-bud headphones "among the best we've tested," but the subcompact music player not as good as some other competitors when it came to battery life before another charge.
"The iPod shuffle offers a very inexpensive and simply way to enjoy music on the go," reviewers concluded. "But choose it only if you value compactness and low price over versatility."
- Mon,10:20 PM
- Beats Music Adds More User Controls to iOS App, Including ‘Tune Your Taste’
- 9:48 PM
- Facebook Forces iPhone Users To Separate Messaging App
- 7:56 PM
- Blockchain.info Brings Bitcoin Wallet App Back to App Store
- 6:56 PM
- ‘Another One Bites The Dust’ Played Using Disk Drives
- 5:57 PM
- Lord & Taylor, Hudson’s Bay Company Deploy iBeacons in Stores
- 5:18 PM
- The Mac Mastery Training Bundle: $29
- 4:39 PM
- Hilton to Turn Your iPhone into Your Hotel Room Key
- 3:55 PM
- OS X Yosemite: What Does That Little Green Button do NOW?
- 2:02 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-07-28
- 10:55 AM
- Apple Ready to Buy Swell Talk Show App in $30M Deal
- 10:09 AM
- Report Claims Retina MacBook Pro Speed Bump Coming Tuesday
- 9:04 AM
- EU Greenlights Apple’s Beats Acquisition