Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Fri,10:07 AM
- The iPod Has Been Relegated to the Back of the Apple Store, But with Good Reason
- 10:00 AM
- iOS 9 Content Blockers - Bring ‘Em On!
- 8:50 AM
- OS X El Capitan Beta: Pinning Safari Tabs
- Thu,6:00 PM
- Windows 10 Users Will Be Able to Watch Apple’s September 9 Event
- 4:59 PM
- Griffin’s Twenty Bluetooth Amplifier: $119.99
- 4:20 PM
- PayAnywhere Hops on the Apple Pay Bus
- 3:20 PM
- Amazon’s Failed Fire Phone Was Too Creepy for Customers
- 1:53 PM
- Siri Doesn’t Want to Give Any Hints
- 1:33 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-08-27: Apple’s Sept 9 Media Event, Amazon’s Defunct Smartphone
- 1:07 PM
- Apple’s Next Big iPhone Event is Happening September 9th, and Siri May Know Something
- 11:53 AM
- Amazon Hangs Up on Fire Phone
- 10:00 AM
- Why the Older, Slower 3G Network is Sometimes Better Than 4G