CNet News: Apple Will Announce Intel Switch on Monday
TMO Reports - CNet News: Apple Will Announce Intel Switch on Monday
by , 8:55 PM EDT, June 3rd, 2005
Apple Computer will finally make the long called-for, long rumored, and often speculated move to Intel, according to a report by CNet News. The news outlet reported Friday evening that Apple would be announcing Monday, June 6th that the company would switch from the PowerPC processor family to Intel's family of processors .
According to the report, Apple will be moving low-end Macs such as the Mac mini to Intel in mid-2006, while high-end models will begin the transition in mid-2007.
The most recent speculation about such a switch was prompted by a report from the Wall Street Journal in May that said Apple and Intel were in talks.
The report, citing two industry executives with knowledge of recent discussions between the companies, said Apple will agree to use Intel Pentium processors, but gave no further details.
"Talks between Apple and Intel could founder, as they have before, or Apple could be engaging in negotiations with Intel to gain leverage over IBM," the WSJ report said.
Since that report was first published, a variety of analysts have expressed various levels of skepticism; these reactions ranged from the idea that Apple was simply trying to pressure IBM, the maker of Apple's G5 PowerPC processors, to the fact that Apple would have enormous difficulty moving its developer base to yet another change in processors.
So far, Apple has moved from the 68k processor, to the original PowerPC line, to the G4 processor with AltiVec, to the 64-bit G5 processor made by IBM. It is unclear what message Apple will deliver to its developers, but Monday marks the beginning of the World Wide Developer's Conference in San Francisco, with a keynote by Apple CEO Steve Jobs.
Apple's policy is to not comment on unannounced products, and the CNet News story did not name its sources. After the Wall Street Journal's story, however, Intel CEO Paul Ortellini simply said that a switch to Intel for Apple was "the Haley's Comet of rumors."
Brad Gibson contributed to this article.
- Wed,3:10 PM
- How to Deauthorize All Devices in iTunes 12
- Thu,8:31 PM
- iTunes ‘Limited Time’ Movie Bundles: Lord of the Rings for $14.99, Aliens Anthology for $19.99
- 8:10 PM
- Alternatives to iCloud for Photo Storage in the Cloud
- 5:40 PM
- Apple Store Adds Same Day Delivery through Postmates in Bay Area
- 5:24 PM
- Another Chink in CurrentC’s Armor: Target Wants In-store Apple Pay
- 4:16 PM
- Appeals Court Rejects Apple’s Request to Remove iBooks Antitrust Monitor
- 3:24 PM
- HUSKK Quickdraw iPhone 6 Wallet Case: $24.99
- 2:42 PM
- 6 Calculator Apps for Apple Watch
- 1:41 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-05-28: Target Says Yes to Apple Pay, Hiding Pics in Photos
- 9:12 AM
- Pebble Time Ships, Apple Watch Comparisons Coming Soon
- Wed,6:47 PM
- TextExpander 5 and TextExpander touch 3.5 Released
- 6:10 PM
- ACM 308: Jony Ive’s New Job, Cortana, and Apple Watch Wish List