Skype 2.0 for Mac to Add Intel-Only Processor Features
FIRST ON TMO - Skype 2.0 for Mac to Add Intel-Only Processor Features
by , 7:00 AM EST, February 10th, 2006
Internet telephony company Skype will soon release a new version of its peer-to-peer VoIP software for the Mac with 10-way conferencing capabilities that can only be used on Apple Macs with Intel dual core processors, The Mac Observer has learned.
Version 2.0 of Skype for Mac will take advantage of the multi-tasking capabilities of Intel dual-core processors and allow a conference call to include up to ten people at the same time. The new feature can only be used with the iMac and MacBook Pro laptops, both announced in early January as the first Mac products with Intel Core Duo processors.
"The new version will be available to Skype users sometime in the second quarter," Tim Cox, a public relations representative for Skype with the firm Spark PR, told TMO. Mr. Cox said the new version will work with any Mac, but will auto-detect Macs with the Intel dual core processor to allow use of the added features.
Skype announced February 8th Skype 2.0 for Windows with the same new features for Intel dual-core processor-based PCs. The two companies are planning additional feature extensions and optimization of Skype for Intel’s dual-core processors including optimized video calling.
“Through our partnership with Intel we can ensure that Skype performs better than any other Internet calling application and drive widespread business and consumer adoption” said Henry Gomez, general manager of Skype North America, in a prepared statement.
Users with Skype’s free software can hold telephone conversations over the Internet with other Skype users, or can call from their PCs to land lines or mobile phones for an additional fee.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Tue,11:18 PM
- Adobe Kills Flash but not Really, and that’s OK
- 9:48 PM
- Sketch Pulled from Mac App Store, Developer Cites Shortcoming in MAS Experience
- 5:06 PM
- Project Management Institute PMP and CAPM Training Bundle: $49
- 4:35 PM
- Apple CEO Tim Cook to Receive Ripple of Hope Award from The Robert F. Kennedy Center
- 1:12 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-12-01: AT&T’s Data Plan Price Increase
- 10:38 AM
- AT&T Hits Unlimited Data Plans with $5 Increase
- 9:30 AM
- Analyst: Apple Watch Sales to Hit 12M During Holidays
- Mon,7:25 PM
- How to Trace Drawings and Photos on Your iPad Pro
- 7:10 PM
- CompTIA-IT Certification Career Advancement Bundle: $59
- 5:50 PM
- Jeremy Clarkson’s Video Pitches Amazon Prime Air
- 5:26 PM
- MGG 581: Hints and Allegations for Cyber Monday