Apple v Apple: Round 3
Apple v Apple: Round 3
by , 7:50 AM EST, March 27th, 2006
Apple Corps and Apple Computer are set to go to court this week in a legal battle over a licensing dispute involving the Apple name. The dispute stems from a claim by Apple Corps, the music distributer that represents the Beatles, that Apple Computer is violating an agreement that prohibits the iPod maker from moving into the music industry.
According to the New York Times, Apple Corps is looking to stop Apple Computer from using the Apple trademark to sell music online. Apple Computer contends that the agreement prohibits it from selling music tapes and CDs, but not online data transfers.
The iTunes Music Store is at the heart of this battle. Apple Corps claims that the iPod and Mac maker's online music distribution system should be included in the earlier settlement, even though it is not explicitly mentioned.
Apple Corps originally sued Apple Computer in 1989 after technological advances made it easier to use the Mac as a music player. It sued a second time in 1991 and won a US$26.5 million settlement and a stipulation that limited the Mac to editing and playing music, but not creating it. In April 2003, Apple Corps filed its current suit after the iTunes Music Store was introduced.
The outcome of this lawsuit isn't clear, but it's more likely that large amounts of money will be passed around, and the iTunes Music Store will continue to operate. It's not likely, however, that we'll see any Beatles recordings available for download through iTunes any time soon.
- Sat,5:29 PM
- Apple Not Allowing Fart Apps on Apple Watch
- 4:23 PM
- How to Convert iPhone Photos to Black And White
- 3:48 PM
- Quick Tip: How to Take an Apple Watch Screenshot
- 10:30 AM
- Three Scenarios for Home Automation
- Fri,9:44 PM
- Sony and Samsung Both Offered to Pay James Bond to Use Their Phones
- 6:39 PM
- XTC In-Ear Genuine Wood Headphones: $23.99
- 6:30 PM
- Four Things To Get You Started With Apple Watch
- 3:55 PM
- Apple’s iPhone 7 Will Make Current iPhones Obsolete
- 1:50 PM
- Apple Offers Online Personal Setup Assistance for Apple Watch
- 1:22 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-04-24: Getting Inside Apple Watch
- 11:24 AM
- iFixit Apple Watch Tear Down Kills Hopes of Upgrades
- 10:09 AM
- Apple Watch App Store Open for Business with 3,000 Apps