Apple v Apple: Round 3
Apple v Apple: Round 3
by , 7:50 AM EST, March 27th, 2006
Apple Corps and Apple Computer are set to go to court this week in a legal battle over a licensing dispute involving the Apple name. The dispute stems from a claim by Apple Corps, the music distributer that represents the Beatles, that Apple Computer is violating an agreement that prohibits the iPod maker from moving into the music industry.
According to the New York Times, Apple Corps is looking to stop Apple Computer from using the Apple trademark to sell music online. Apple Computer contends that the agreement prohibits it from selling music tapes and CDs, but not online data transfers.
The iTunes Music Store is at the heart of this battle. Apple Corps claims that the iPod and Mac maker's online music distribution system should be included in the earlier settlement, even though it is not explicitly mentioned.
Apple Corps originally sued Apple Computer in 1989 after technological advances made it easier to use the Mac as a music player. It sued a second time in 1991 and won a US$26.5 million settlement and a stipulation that limited the Mac to editing and playing music, but not creating it. In April 2003, Apple Corps filed its current suit after the iTunes Music Store was introduced.
The outcome of this lawsuit isn't clear, but it's more likely that large amounts of money will be passed around, and the iTunes Music Store will continue to operate. It's not likely, however, that we'll see any Beatles recordings available for download through iTunes any time soon.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Fri,7:26 PM
- $100 off iPad mini 4 for Black Friday
- 7:11 PM
- iPad mini 2 for $199 at Walmart for Black Friday
- 6:18 PM
- $100 and $125 off iPad Air 2 for Black Friday from Best Buy
- 5:23 PM
- 20% iTunes Cards from Best Buy Back on for Black Friday
- 5:15 PM
- 20% Off iTunes Cards from Ebay/PayPal
- 8:03 AM
- Black Friday Blowout 15% Discount on TMO Deals
- Thu,10:32 AM
- Happy Thanksgiving from The Mac Observer!
- Wed,7:53 PM
- Awaken the Force with these Free Star Wars Apps
- 5:28 PM
- How to Pair Bluetooth Headphones with Your Apple TV
- 4:40 PM
- Pay What You Want for the Learn to Code Bundle
- 4:27 PM
- ACM 334: Apple’s Mac Pro vs. The Devil’s Advocate