Analysts: PortalPlayer's Q2 Guidance Implies Soft iPod Sales
TMO Reports - Analysts: PortalPlayer's Q2 Guidance Implies Soft iPod Sales
by , 10:20 AM EDT, May 2nd, 2006
Wedbush Morgan Securities analysts Craig Berger and James Schneider on Tuesday issued a research report looking at PortalPlayer, pointing to second quarter revenue guidance that they believe implies a 15-20% drop in iPod shipments from the first quarter. PortalPlayer previously provided system-on-a-chip (SOC) processors for the iPod nano but said on April 20 it had lost the contract for upcoming models of the flash-based MP3 player.
While the company still provides Apple with SOC processors for the standard iPod and has other lines of business, the Wedbush analysts characterized PortalPlayer's loss of the iPod nano socket as "one of the uber-bear case scenarios that investors have feared." They added: "[This] has a disastrous impact on PortalPlayer's profitability in light of the fact that iPod nano chip shipments once comprised 70% of our 2007 revenue."
The analysts also pulled expected standard iPod sales from PortalPlayer's revenue forecast "in light of Apple's apparent ability to switch chip suppliers at will." They are among the industry watchers who expect Apple to release a redesigned video iPod sometime this year, and they had previously said they expect Apple to use PortalPlayer's solution in such a device. They still believe that to be the case, but only because competitor Broadcom does not have an SOC processor that's better than PortalPlayer's offering.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Mon,10:42 PM
- Google Brings Higher Resolution Satellite Imagery to Google Earth and Maps
- 9:10 PM
- Google Bloks Will Offer Kids Hands-On, Collaborative Programming Concepts
- 8:44 PM
- PRE-SALE: The Complete iOS 10 Developer Course at $29
- 5:15 PM
- Game Foul: Ford Dealership Steals Firewatch Art
- 5:04 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview With Symply Co-founder and President Alex Grossman
- 3:20 PM
- iPhone 7 Sans Headphone Jack: The Debate Continues
- 1:58 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-06-27: AAPL, Brexit, Google Blocks
- 11:58 AM
- Google Ready to Try Apple’s Tactics with New Smartphone
- 9:33 AM
- Apple gets its Rainbow on for SF Pride Parade
- Sun,12:18 PM
- MGG 611: Troubleshoot & Resolve Your Mac & Apple Issues
- Fri,7:00 PM
- Apple Kills the Thunderbolt Display - Will the Mac Pro Be Next?