IDC: Apple's U.S. Market Share Up to 4.8% in Q2
TMO Reports - IDC: Apple's U.S. Market Share Up to 4.8% in Q2
by , 7:15 PM EDT, July 19th, 2006
On the heels of the news that Apple's computer sales were up 12% over the year-ago period, IDC's Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker showed on Wednesday that the company's market share in the U.S. reached 4.8% last quarter, up from 4.4% a year ago. That was good for fourth on the list of top vendors, although Apple failed to crack the top five worldwide.
Dell led the way in the U.S., growing shipments by 6.4% but losing market share, from 34.3% in the second quarter of 2005 to 34.2% last quarter. HP was number two, with 20.1% of the market this year, compared to 18.6% in 2Q05, Gateway was third with 6.5% versus 6%, and Lenovo was fifth with 4% versus 4.1%.
Overall, nearly 16 million computers were shipped last quarter in the United States, up 6.7% from the year-ago period.
Worldwide, Dell was also number one, growing its market share from 19% a year ago to 19.2% this year. HP was number two at 15.9% versus 15.4%, Lenovo was third with 7.7% versus 7.5%, Acer was fourth with 5.4% versus 4.3%, and Fujitsu/Fujitsu Siemens was firth with 3.4% versus 3.7%. Apple was part of the "Others" category, which fell from 50.1% last year to 48.5% this year.
Worldwide, all vendors were up 9.7% compared to last year, shipping 52.084 million computers compared to 47.477 million in the second quarter of 2005.
- Sun,12:28 PM
- MGG 537: The Moral to the Story is Never Fun
- Sat,11:00 AM
- MacPhun = The Easy Way to Improve Photos
- 10:30 AM
- 3 Rules for Better Candid iPhone Portraits
- 10:00 AM
- 7 Basic Tips for a Speedier Mac
- Fri,7:22 PM
- Go Behind the Scenes with Chinese Apple Store Artist (Video)
- 7:14 PM
- Leatherman Wins At Watchbands with Leatherman Tread
- 6:47 PM
- Travel Back to 2004 and Meet the ‘Palette Pad’
- 6:32 PM
- PowerPot Cooking Pot and Charger: $99
- 6:28 PM
- Apple Continues to Plunder Fashion Industry with Another Burberry Hire
- 5:00 PM
- How Apple is Winning a Secret War
- 3:30 PM
- The Mac Observer on an SE/30
- 2:12 PM
- Mac Podcasters Quick Upgrade Guide for Audio Hijack 3