TMO at Macworld - Apple Announces AirPort Extreme with 802.11n
by , 4:15 PM EST, January 9th, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO -- Apple announced a next generation AirPort Extreme base station that includes support for the 802.11n protocol. Up to five times the throughput and twice the range was claimed. The 802.11n standard is based on an IEEE 802.11n draft specification and is compatible with IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b and IEEE 802.11g.
Apple said, "Using MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out) smart antennas and 802.11n technology, AirPort Extreme now delivers greater data throughput and extends the reach of wireless connectivity to more areas of the home, business or school. With the ability to operate in either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz wireless frequencies, AirPort Extreme also reduces the possibility of interference from appliances and cordless phones that operate in the 2.4 GHz frequency. AirPort Extreme is backward compatible with Macs and PCs using previous generation 802.11b/g wireless technologies."
Apple also pointed out that all Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel Xeon Macs, except the entry 17-inch iMac with 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, support the 802.11n when updated with 802.11n Enabler software, which ships with the AirPort Extreme Base Station technology.
The new Airport Extreme will be available in February and priced at US$179.00.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Sun,11:53 AM
- MGG 607: The Pocket Dial Conspiracy
- Fri,9:47 PM
- The Pros and Cons of a Proprietary Apple Car Charger
- 6:59 PM
- VirnetX Wants to Shut Down FaceTime, but it Won’t Happen
- 5:45 PM
- Star Wars: Force Awakens Soundtrack LPs Will Feature Built-in Holograms—Really
- 5:45 PM
- It Could Happen - Universally Autonomous Cars Could Fail in the Marketplace
- 5:36 PM
- Record Your Mac’s Screen with iShowU Instant: $12
- 1:49 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-05-27: Apple’s Car Charging Plans, Eddy Cue’s Time Warner Deal
- 11:50 AM
- iPhone SE: Is Less the New More?
- 10:44 AM
- Support for Anti-encryption Laws Crumbles
- Thu,11:02 PM
- HP Envy 34c Curved Display Video Review
- 6:18 PM
- Thinking Differently about Apple Spending Billions to Buy a Big Media Company