TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Wed, 8:43 PM
- ACM 251: What’s in an Upgrade, Apple’s Google Gambit, the Future of iPhone
- 8:00 PM
- Apple Reports Record March iPhone Sales in Q2 2014
- 7:31 PM
- Apple’s Stock Jumps $40 (7.7%) in After-Hours Session
- 7:11 PM
- China Earns Apple $10B, Ready for More
- 6:57 PM
- Apple’s Tim Cook Explains His Enthusiasm for iPad
- 5:41 PM
- Burberry’s Angela Ahrendts Starts as Apple Retail Boss Next Week
- 5:05 PM
- AAPL Expands Dividend Program to $130B, Announces 7-to-1 Stock Split
- 4:37 PM
- Apple Beats the Street, Reports $45.6 Billion Revenue and $11.62 EPS [Update]
- 2:43 PM
- The 6 Piece Essential iPhoneography Lens Kit for $69
- 1:55 PM
- Why 4K Streaming Isn’t Really 4K
- 1:40 PM
- The Golden Age of Mac Upgrades is (Once Again) Upon Us
- 1:29 PM
- Apple Debuts ‘Powerful’ Spot Featuring iPhone 5s