TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Wed,8:40 PM
- ACM 274: LOL Windows 10, Privacy Has Value, Protesting and Jailbreaking
- 5:25 PM
- iOS 8: News In Notification Center
- 4:19 PM
- The Name Your Own Price Learn To Code Bundle
- 4:11 PM
- Waterfield Spinn Pouch Case for iPhone 6/6 Plus: Excellence in Leather
- 3:40 PM
- ‘Someone’ Targets Hong Kong Protesters Using Jailbroken iPhones with Malware
- 2:55 PM
- iOS 8: Make Cellular Phone Calls from Your iPad Using Handoff
- 2:01 PM
- New Aerial Shot Shows Apple Campus Construction Underway
- 1:40 PM
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Dr. Mac’s Final Showdown
- 1:23 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-10-01
- 11:02 AM
- Report Claims Gold iPad Coming Soon
- 10:31 AM
- Evercore Raises AAPL Target on Strong iPhone 6 Demand
- 10:03 AM
- Apple Tells Developers to Submit their OS X Yosemite-compatible Apps