TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Tue,5:33 PM
- MGG 517: Random Access Gab
- 5:12 PM
- Last Chance for 8 Award-Winning Mac Apps for $39.99
- 5:00 PM
- Apple’s Deal with Major Credit Cards Companies Has Hidden Value
- 3:34 PM
- Samsung Taps David Hasselhoff, Knight Rider, and Kit for Smart Home Ad
- 3:19 PM
- Apple: Celebrity Photo Theft Due to Compromised Passwords, Not iCloud Security
- 1:03 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-09-02
- 11:22 AM
- Analyst: New iPhones Coming, Maybe an iWatch, too
- 10:13 AM
- Report Claims iWatch Still in Testing, No Sept 9 Unveiling
- 8:50 AM
- Apple Lands Digital Wallet Deal with Amex, Visa, MasterCard
- Mon,5:52 PM
- Apple Fixes iCloud Security Gap, ‘Actively Investigates’ Celeb Photo Theft
- 8:00 AM
- Happy Labor Day
- Sun,5:23 PM
- How to Use a FLIR Camera to Steal a PIN Code, and How to Stop It