TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Thu,6:24 PM
- Apple Watch iMessage Canned Responses Are Automatically Multilingual
- 5:50 PM
- How to Save Money on Subscriptions to Netflix, Pandora, and Other Services
- 5:18 PM
- AluPen Digital Fine-Point Stylus: $34.95
- 1:44 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-05-05: Dave’s iPhone SE Surprise, LAPD iPhone Hack
- 10:42 AM
- LAPD iPhone Hack isn’t as Big a Deal as You Think
- 8:29 AM
- How To Record a Video of Your iPhone’s Screen
- Wed,8:45 PM
- Why I’m not Buying an Apple Smoke Detector
- 5:25 PM
- ACM 358: The Devil’s Advocate, Apple Scaling, and Tim Cook’s Speeches
- 5:00 PM
- Hulu Is Going to Launch What Was Denied to Apple: A Cable-like Internet Subscription Service
- 4:53 PM
- ThinCharge iPhone 6/6s Battery Case (Black): $56.99
- 3:10 PM
- The Internet of Things is Really a Thing in Germany