TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Tue,7:47 PM
- Handmade Leather Lightning iPhone Chargers
- 7:34 PM
- VMware Fusion 8 Benchmarks vs. Fusion 7 and Boot Camp
- 6:30 PM
- Apple Doesn’t Have to Make the ‘Best’ TV Shows to Be Successful
- 3:30 PM
- Vidity: A Potential UHD/4KTV Game Changer - Will Apple Play?
- 2:48 PM
- All-Inclusive iOS 9 & Swift 2 Course Bundle: $49
- 1:14 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-09-01: The Big Apple TV Studio Debate
- 11:52 AM
- iPhone Jailbreakers Hit with ID Stealing Hack
- 10:14 AM
- Maybe it’s Time for Apple’s Own TV Studio
- Mon,7:38 PM
- Tidal Accuses Apple of Blocking Drake Benefit Stream, but Not According to Drake
- 4:58 PM
- Where Did iTunes Match go for non-Apple Music Subscribers?
- 4:44 PM
- Supercharge Your Mac App Bundle: $39.99
- 4:15 PM
- How to Manage the Secret Software That Google Chrome Installs on Your Mac