TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Fri,5:30 PM
- Ghostbusters Reboot gets its Own LEGO Kit
- 4:55 PM
- Man Ties String to iPhone and Films Ski Run (Video)
- 4:45 PM
- What To Do When Your Apple Watch Tells You NOT to Eat the Candy Bar
- 2:56 PM
- ‘Star Wars’ as a Grindhouse Trailer
- 2:29 PM
- The iPad Pro and Apple Pencil Giveaway
- 1:26 PM
- Apple to Supreme Court: You can Skip Samsung’s Patent Appeal
- 1:16 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-02-05: Streaming the Super Bowl, Time Machine’s Failure
- 10:57 AM
- Want to Watch the Super Bowl on Your iPad for Free? There’s an App for That
- 9:33 AM
- Final Cut Pro X Adds 4K Video Export for Apple Devices
- 8:55 AM
- iOS: That Stupid [Bleep] Siri and Its [Bleep] Nicknames
- Thu,10:20 PM
- Apple to Accept Some Cracked Screens in iPhone Trade-in Program and Install Screen Protectors