TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Sun,12:23 PM
- MGG 573: I Yell At Sites That Use Flash
- Fri,6:17 PM
- Apple Music - Guided Tour: Connect (Video)
- 5:22 PM
- Last Chance for Titan MFi-Certified Lightning Cable: $24.99
- 5:18 PM
- Tim Cook: The NSA Won’t Be Asking for Backdoors (Anymore)
- 4:30 PM
- OS X Security is a Lot Better Than You Thought
- 1:57 PM
- Apple Watch Coming to Target October 18
- 1:20 PM
- The Complete Guide to an OS X Clean Install of El Capitan
- 1:16 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-10-02: Amazon Blocks Apple TV, iFixit Tears One Down
- 9:02 AM
- iPhone 6s/6s Plus: Turning Off Individual Live Photos
- Thu,9:14 PM
- Apple Reportedly ‘Seals Deal’ on on 777,000 Square Foot Landmark Campus
- 6:37 PM
- Amazon Jumps the Shark and Kicks Apple TV and Google Chromecast off Store
- 5:51 PM
- ChargeIt! Dual-Output Car Charger: $22.95