TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Fri,6:25 PM
- Apple Drops 2.81% in Broad Brexit Selloff
- 5:01 PM
- G Cloud Unlimited Backup for iPhone and Android: 5-Year Subscription for $29.99
- 1:46 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-06-24: Goodbye Thunderbolt Display, Spinning off the Mac
- 11:48 AM
- Plex Media Server Turns 1.0!
- 9:05 AM
- OS X: Using Policy Banner for Custom Login Screens
- Thu,9:01 PM
- Apple Discontinues Thunderbolt Display, Directs Customers to Unspecified 3rd Party Displays
- 8:55 PM
- Apple Adds RAW Support for 15 DSLR Cameras from Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony
- 6:20 PM
- How to Display Calories or kJ on your iPhone/Apple Watch Health Apps
- 5:20 PM
- Ingrein ‘Smartclock’ Shows Important Notifications to Help You Detach from Your Screen
- 5:04 PM
- IKlip A/V Broadcast Mount for iPhone
- 4:53 PM
- G-BOOM Wireless Bluetooth Boombox: $79.99