TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Wed,3:10 PM
- How to Deauthorize All Devices in iTunes 12
- Wed,6:47 PM
- TextExpander 5 and TextExpander touch 3.5 Released
- 6:10 PM
- ACM 308: Jony Ive’s New Job, Cortana, and Apple Watch Wish List
- 6:04 PM
- iOS Bug can Crash Your iPhone with a Text Message
- 5:10 PM
- Apple Redefined ‘Hidden’ in Photos App for Mac
- 4:50 PM
- Texas BBQ and High Technology…
- 2:08 PM
- Last Chance to Register for the Apple Thunderbolt Giveaway
- 1:04 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-05-27: Apple’s Big Discoveryd and Messages Bugs
- 12:56 PM
- Skype for Mac Update Ignores Its Own Audio Settings
- 9:36 AM
- Yosemite 10.10.4 Beta Dumps Discoveryd to Fix Network Issues
- 8:55 AM
- OS X: 3 Tricks for Moving Files Around
- Tue,6:35 PM
- iKlip Grip: iPhone Stand and Selfiestick with Bluetooth Shutter