TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Fri,5:40 PM
- The Unofficial Apple Weblog Will Shut Down February 3rd
- 5:18 PM
- Peri Duo Case for iPhone Marries Speaker, Battery, and Wi-Fi Audio
- 4:50 PM
- Repatriation Tax Bill Holds Promise, but Faces Uphill Battle
- 4:32 PM
- Microsoft Brings Outlook to iPhone and iPad
- 2:51 PM
- Enter to Win a Pair of Wireless Beats Studio Headphones
- 1:09 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-01-30: Samsung’s Smartphone Numbers, Congress Wants More Corporate Cash
- 11:09 AM
- FiftyThree’s Pencil Stylus for iPad goes Gold
- 9:48 AM
- How to Enable the iTunes Notification Center Widget in OS X Yosemite
- 9:05 AM
- iTunes gets OS X Yosemite Notification Widget
- Thu,6:59 PM
- Apple Tied Samsung for Global Smartphone Units in Q4
- 6:14 PM
- Wall Street Continues Apple Love Fest as $AAPL Closes at $118.90
- 5:34 PM
- ZeroLemon SolarJuice 20,000mAh Portable Charger: $49.99