TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Wed,10:55 AM
- AT&T Wireless Offers iPad Air 2, mini 3 for $100 off
- 9:55 AM
- Apple Launches Maps Connect, Allows Users To Update Info
- Tue,8:51 PM
- GTAT Announces ‘Amicable Parting’ of Ways with Apple
- 6:50 PM
- How I Came to Own and Sell a TAM Probably Owned by Jony Ive
- 5:01 PM
- Adobe KnowHow: Learn Photography From The Best for $29.99
- 4:49 PM
- How To Get Ready For iOS 8.1 [Update]
- 2:59 PM
- Chuck La Tournous and Chris Breen to Speak at NJMUG’s 30th Anniversary Tuesday
- 2:24 PM
- Don’t Upgrade to Yosemite or iOS 8.1 Before You Read This Column
- 2:06 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-10-21
- 12:29 PM
- How Apple Pay Mitigates Breach Fatigue
- 10:50 AM
- How to Enable Apple’s SMS Relay on your Mac or iPad
- 9:43 AM
- Apple Earnings Smackdown Ranks Analyst Predictions