TMO at Macworld - Harman/Kardon Annnounces Drive+Play 2
by , 4:00 PM EST, January 11th, 2007
San Francisco, CA -- It was the summer of 2005 when Harman/Kardon announced the Drive+Play at the last Macworld Boston in July. The idea behind the product blew us away at the show, but after living with it for a while, we more or less panned it in our review a few months later. The product, which is a really slick idea for playing an iPod through a car stereo, had some strange quirks and wasn't upgradeable.
Enter the Drive+Play 2, which H/K is starting to hype at both Macworld in San Francisco and CES in Las Vegas. It's a revamped product that addresses some of our greatest complaints with the first iteration. Most importantly, it has a USB connection that can be used to upgrade the product's firmware, so H/K can change menus, features, and bugs as new iPods (and the iPhone) come to market. The D+P2 also promises a wireless controller knob and larger color screen.
The new D+P will also include technologies for automatic song selection. One feature will play more or fewer songs in the vein of a song that the user highlights. Another subdivides your iPod's music library into "channels," allowing you to listen to your own country music radio out of your own iPod.
Harman/Kardon's renovated Drive+Play.
Some users will be happy to know that D+P 2 can also work with adapters for both bluetooth and satellite radio. It's also designed to work with Microsoft's Zune and other non-iPod MP3 players.
The Drive+Play 2 is slated to ship this spring, with a price tag of $399.95. The original Drive+Play's price has been reduced to $100. At press time, the Drive+Play website had not been updated with info about the new model.
- Sat,5:29 PM
- Apple Not Allowing Fart Apps on Apple Watch
- 4:23 PM
- How to Convert iPhone Photos to Black And White
- 3:48 PM
- Quick Tip: How to Take an Apple Watch Screenshot
- 10:30 AM
- Three Scenarios for Home Automation
- Fri,9:44 PM
- Sony and Samsung Both Offered to Pay James Bond to Use Their Phones
- 6:39 PM
- XTC In-Ear Genuine Wood Headphones: $23.99
- 6:30 PM
- Four Things To Get You Started With Apple Watch
- 3:55 PM
- Apple’s iPhone 7 Will Make Current iPhones Obsolete
- 1:50 PM
- Apple Offers Online Personal Setup Assistance for Apple Watch
- 1:22 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-04-24: Getting Inside Apple Watch
- 11:24 AM
- iFixit Apple Watch Tear Down Kills Hopes of Upgrades
- 10:09 AM
- Apple Watch App Store Open for Business with 3,000 Apps