TMO at MWSF - Macworld by the Numbers
by , 3:40 PM EST, January 15th, 2008
SAN FRANCISCO - Steve Jobs, in addition to his four part keynote, spiced up the presentation with a lot of numbers that told the story of Apple's recent sales successes.
• Apple has sold 5 million copies of Leopard in three months. It was the most successful OS release in Apple's history. Mr. Jobs estimated that 19 percent of Mac users are using Leopard and 81 percent are on Tiger.
• Four million iPhones have been sold since the launch, exactly 200 days ago. That's an average of 20,000 iPhones per day. In the overall market in the U.S. for smart phones, the iPhone market share is 19.5%. That's exceeded only by RIM at 39%.
- RIM - 39%
- Apple - 19.5%
- Palm - 9.8%
- Motorola - 7.4%
- Nokia 3.1%
- All other 21.2%
These number are for the third quarter of 2007, and Apple expects the numbers to be even better for the 4th quarter.
• iTunes. Apple has sold 4 billion songs with a record breaking 20 million songs on Christmas day. There are 6 million songs in available to purchase. Apple has sold 125 million TV shows and 7 million movies. The last two numbers are more than all other sources combined.
YouTube has 50 million videos available. There are 125,000 video and audio podcasts available to iTunes.
It's likely that the sheer size of these numbers were instrumental in bringing all the Hollywood studos on board with the Apple TV, take 2.
- Tue,8:30 PM
- Class-Action Suit Against Apple for Alleged Labor Violations
- 8:04 PM
- Apple Buys 29 Companies (plus Beats) in 21 months, 5 Since March
- 6:40 PM
- Apple’s Tim Cook Says iPad Sales Behind IBM Partnership
- 6:20 PM
- Apple: iTunes is the Fastest Growing Part of Our Business
- 5:23 PM
- Apple to Shareholders: You get 47 Cents!
- 4:35 PM
- Apple Posts Record June Quarter and 20% EPS Growth [Update]
- 3:27 PM
- MacSparky Field Guide: Presentations Released
- 2:37 PM
- Universal Car Mount w/360 Degree Adjustable Fit for $14
- 2:21 PM
- Petition Demands Samsung Improve Factory Conditions, 40K Signatures
- 1:33 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-07-22
- 11:16 AM
- Samsung’s Ad Message: It’s Time for New Marketing Tactics
- 10:18 AM
- AAPL Q3 2014 Earnings Report Set for Tuesday Afternoon