TMO at MWSF - RocketStream Speeds Up Transfer Up to 200 Times, Now on Mac [Updated]
by , 5:40 PM EST, January 17th, 2008
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- RocketStream, a subsidiary of Voyant International Corporation, announced the immediate availability of the Macintosh version of their RocketStream file transfer acceleration software suite durning Macworld Expo 2008. Steffen Koehler, Chief Marketing Officer, briefed us on problems with existing TCP/IP, and how their product dramatically speeds up file transfers.
The basic problem is that the TCP/IP protocol, when used for file transfer with a higher level protocol such as FTP or HTTP, scales very poorly when the packet latency starts entering the range of hundreds of milliseconds. This figure can be found by executing the "ping" command to the server that you are trying to get information from. Even if you get a faster class of Internet service, it won't help.
RocketStream's customized UDP implementation takes advantage of the faster speeds the protocol offers while overcoming its inability to guarantee packet delivery. For slower connections, RocketStream also implements PDP (Parallel Delivery Protocol) which uses multiple TCP sockets. The end result of these enhancements is that file transfers are accelerated anywhere from 10 to 200 times!
RocketStream offers several other useful features. It provides security using 256-bit encryption, and can also compress data up to 1/24th the original size. The product also helps workflow by offering automation features such as synchronization, job scheduling, and hot folders. Plus, if your connection is somehow interrupted, it can be resumed when the connection returns.
RocketStream offers three products. RocketStream Uplink is the client, RocketStream Server is the server component, and RocketStream Station is a combination of the Client and Server products. Each product has an Express and Pro version. Typical pricing for the Express Client is US$35, and under US$100 for the Pro Client. Pricing for the Express Server product is US$5,000. Contact RocketStream for other pricing options.
[This article has been updated with additional information about RocketStream.]
- Sun,12:17 PM
- MGG 551: Syncing Happens More Ways Than One
- Sat,5:00 PM
- Amazon PrimeNow Offers One Hour Delivery, Here’s How it Works
- Fri,3:45 PM
- Scratching the Surface: Sapphire vs Glass Apple Watch
- 3:17 PM
- How Big Would a 12-Inch iPad Be? See in This Video
- 2:55 PM
- PDFpen 7: All-Purpose PDF Editor for Mac for $56
- 2:10 PM
- How Smart is a Smarthome That Has to Phone Home?
- 1:21 PM
- Apple Watch, Sport Ship Dates Pushed to July
- 1:05 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-05-01: Tesla’s Home Batteries, A Week with Apple Watch
- 11:33 AM
- Grooveshark Shuts Down: We Made Serious Mistakes
- 10:07 AM
- Tesla Wants its Batteries to Power Your Home
- 8:50 AM
- Apple’s Beats Unveils New Ad Featuring Marcus Mariota
- Thu,8:17 PM
- Russian Politician Wants Apple’s U2 Album Giveaway Investigated as Gay Propaganda