TMO at MWSF - TheSkyX Astronomy Software Released for Mac OS X
by , 8:45 AM EST, January 18th, 2008
SAN FRANCISCO - Bisque Software announced the immediate availability of TheSkyX at Macworld this week. The native Mac OS X astronomy software allows the user to see what the night sky will look like at any time and any place on Earth, learn about the night sky and plan observing sessions.
Years ago, The Sky was a very popular program for Mac OS 9. Now, Bisque Software has released a native and Universal version, specially designed for students, that runs in Mac OS X.
"TheSkyX Student is a comprehensive and full-featured tool to help you explore and actively develop an understanding of basic astronomy. You can learn the constellations (labeled with their phonetic pronunciation), watch planetary motion over days or centuries, witness solar and lunar eclipses, or show detailed drawings of mythological characters and so much more," according to Bisque Software.
The Mac OS X version comes by virtue of Bisque's investment in a cross platform development system, Trolltech's Qt. This is a framework system that allows developers to maintain one set of source code, but compile for different target systems, including Mac OS X, Carbon.
TMO watched a demo of TheSkyX in the Bisque Software booth and Macworld, and it is fast, smooth and beautiful.
TheSkyX requires a minimum of 1.25 GHz PowerPC processor or 2.0 GHz Intel processor, 512 MB RAM and Mac OS X 10.4.8 or later. It is priced at US$99.00.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Wed,2:05 PM
- Apple’s Penchant for Privacy Makes Siri ‘Speaker’ Hard, but That’s Why We’ll Want It
- 1:33 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-05-25: Apple Hires Jon Callas, Microsoft’s Smartphone Failure
- 10:19 AM
- Microsoft Cuts more Smartphone Jobs, Hopes for Enterprise Success
- Tue,7:41 PM
- Bad News, FBI: Apple Hires Security Pro Jon Callas
- 5:30 PM
- How Apple Got Ready For an iPhone With an OLED Display
- 5:09 PM
- Writing the ‘Apple Music Letter’ Was Taylor Swift’s Bravest Thing She’s Done
- 4:46 PM
- ZeroLemon 64GB iMemStick: $79.99
- 1:31 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-05-24: New MacBook Pros this Fall, Spotify’s New Pricing
- 11:41 AM
- No New MacBook Pro Until Fall, but it’ll be Really Cool
- 10:25 AM
- Star Wars as an Infographic is Fantastically Awesome
- 9:15 AM
- El Capitan: Adjust Safari’s Reader Settings