TMO Quick Tip - iCal: Auto Open Files
by , 7:30 AM EDT, June 27th, 2008
iCal's event alarms can do more than remind you not to be late to important meetings. It can also perform other tasks, like opening documents at specific times.
To automatically open a document at a specific time, do this:
- First create a new event in iCal.
- Now choose Open file from the alarm pop-up menu.
- Select other from the iCal pop-up menu and select the file you want to open.
- Don't forget to set how far before your event the file should open.
Use iCal to automatically open files.
Since iCal supports multiple alarms for an event, I typically set an audible reminder alarm to go off 15 minutes before meetings, and then set a second alarm to open my meeting notes file five minutes before the start time. That usually gives me enough time to wrap up what I was working on and review my notes before the meeting starts.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Mon,10:42 PM
- Google Brings Higher Resolution Satellite Imagery to Google Earth and Maps
- 9:10 PM
- Google Bloks Will Offer Kids Hands-On, Collaborative Programming Concepts
- 8:44 PM
- PRE-SALE: The Complete iOS 10 Developer Course at $29
- 5:15 PM
- Game Foul: Ford Dealership Steals Firewatch Art
- 5:04 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview With Symply Co-founder and President Alex Grossman
- 3:20 PM
- iPhone 7 Sans Headphone Jack: The Debate Continues
- 1:58 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-06-27: AAPL, Brexit, Google Blocks
- 11:58 AM
- Google Ready to Try Apple’s Tactics with New Smartphone
- 9:33 AM
- Apple gets its Rainbow on for SF Pride Parade
- Sun,12:18 PM
- MGG 611: Troubleshoot & Resolve Your Mac & Apple Issues
- Fri,7:00 PM
- Apple Kills the Thunderbolt Display - Will the Mac Pro Be Next?