The Devil's Advocate - The Pyramid iMac [TMO Scoop]
- August 26th, 2004
Today a little something new, and old, from Apple. On August 24, 2004, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USTPO) issued United States Patent Number D494,971 to Apple Computer, Inc. for a "Display device with a moveable assembly," which was filed on October 3, 2003. This is a division of an application first filed on November 8, 2001. Steven Jobs was the first named inventor along with Jonathan Ive and multitude of others.
This is a design patent for "[t]he ornamental design for a display device with a moveable assembly." We've seen some of the wacky iMac versions Apple considered before. There were the snake and double-hinged iMacs. This latest design combines the double-hinged design with a pyramid base:
Figures from Apple's pyramid iMac patent application
Perhaps Apple thought going with the snake neck on the pyramid would be too thematic? It's not clear what the late October 3, 2003 division filing suggests (i.e., this application was filed significantly after the "sunflower" iMac was released in January of 2002). Does it mean this is a design that's being considered for the next iMac? Doubtful. At least I hope not; it seems rather homely.
Figures from the eMac and Aluminum PowerBook patent applications
So what relevance does this pyramid filing have? Probably none. I, mostly, like this stuff just to get an idea of how wild Apple is willing to dream these days. And the good news is that they're willing to dream pretty big and wild things. In some ways, Apple is like the Wonka candy factory of the tech world. They develop designs that border on magic and inspire fun, curiosity and interest in what would otherwise be a really boring-as-all-hell industry.
is an attorney. Please don't hold that against him. This work does not necessarily reflect the views and/or opinions of The Mac Observer, any third parties, or even John for that matter. No assertions of fact are being made, but rather the reader is simply asked to consider the possibilities.
Most Recent Columns From The Devil's Advocate
- Mac UI Ain't All That: The Future & History of the User Interface - August 15th
- MacWindows: The New Trojan Wars - April 4th
- TMO Scoop: Apple Files Patent for Looking Glass - January 25th
The Devil's Advocate Archives
- Fri,3:10 PM
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer on iTunes
- 1:18 PM
- Apple Black Friday Deals Include Gift Cards for Macs, iPhones, More
- Thu,8:00 AM
- Happy Thanksgiving from The Mac Observer!
- Wed,9:36 PM
- Apple Reportedly Building Chinese Sapphire Plant with Foxconn
- 8:40 PM
- ACM 282: The Steampunk, Sapphire, and Apple Watch Episode
- 7:46 PM
- Melissa Holt on MacJury’s Holiday Gift Guide 2
- 4:42 PM
- Steampunk USB Flash Drives with Motorized Gears - Really!
- 4:05 PM
- Black Friday 2014: The Best Mac Deals
- 3:10 PM
- iOS 8: Control Which Apps Can Access Your Private Data
- 2:50 PM
- The Name Your Own Price Must-Have Mac Bundle
- 1:36 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-11-26
- 10:46 AM
- 5 iPhone Apps to Cut Your Thanksgivings Stress