Dr. Mac's Tiger Install Tips & Cool Widgets
by- Episode 38 - April 29th, 2005
The cat is finally out of the bag!
Every other week my column deadlines for The Mac Observer and the Houston Chronicle coincide. I usually write something completely different for each publication because the audiences couldn't be less alike. My Houston Chronicle readers are 90% Windows, 10% Mac. TMO readers, on the other hand, are 95% Mac users, 4.9% Windows users ( and .1% trolls), and most are likely to be Mac fanatics.
When I choose to write both columns on the same topic, which is what I'm doing today, now, I use a different slant for each.
So next week's Houston Chronicle column is about the things everyone should consider before any major Mac OS upgrade. Since you are such Mac-savvy readers, I can summarize what took 500 words in the Chronicle in three sentences and a picture:
- Don't be the first one on your block to upgrade or update.
- Wait for the bug fix point release if possible.
- Back up important data and then back it up again before you update.
So, I was all set to cover a bunch of cool Tiger features here today, features I hoped you'd not seen or heard of yet. Alas, I awoke to discover that David Pogue had done just that in his column in the New York Times, "From Apple, a Tiger to Put in Your Mac." And he did it quite well, so I won't cover that territory today.
Instead, let me show you one cool thing from the Tiger DVD and a bunch of cool Tiger tricks that don't come from Apple.
First, here's an extremely rare depiction of the Tiger Installer's new Utilities menu
Folks, you don't just catch an image like that every day. Command-Shift-3, Apple's Grab.app, and even Snapz Pro are useless when you boot from a DVD or CD. Fortunately I was in the right place at the right time with my trusty camera.
So now you know that these tools are available when you boot from the Installer DVD. I showed you that because if I didn't, at least some of you would have clicked the Continue so quickly you'd have missed the whole shebang. Be thankful I'm so fast on the shutter.
Moving right along to the Tiger products by the parties of the third part, first and at the top of my list of neat things to play with on Tiger Launch Friday has to be BBEdit, Version 8.2, which came with a pleasant surprise when I downloaded it yesterday. I was playing around with Automator a little later on and noticed something very cool:
The cool part is I didn't have to do anything for them to show up in Automator... Just having BBEdit 8.2 on my hard disk was enough to make them magically appear when I next opened Automator. Neat!
Now lets move on to some cool widgets that aren't on your Tiger DVD And since it's nearly the witching hour (6PM), here are some pictures and captions that are going to have to be worth a thousand words each:
It's after 6 and Bryan's screamin,' so this will have to do for now. More in two weeks...
And that's all he wrote...
Bob "Dr. Mac" LeVitus has been a Macintosh user for a long, long time and has written 49 computer books including Mac OS X Tiger For Dummies and GarageBand for Dummies. He also offers expert technical help and training to Mac users, in real time and at reasonable prices, via telephone, e-mail, and/or unique Internet-enabled remote control software. For more information on Bob and his services, visit www.boblevitus.com.
Send polite comments toSend impolite comments to DeleteWithoutReading@boblevitus.com, or post your comments below.
Most Recent Columns From Dr. Mac: Rants & Raves
- Resolving the Interview Recording Conundrum - September 9th
- Killer Software That’s Either Free or Inexpensive - August 25th
- Audio Chatting Devices Compared & Contrasted - August 11th
Dr. Mac: Rants & Raves Archives
- Fri,3:08 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-08-22
- 1:37 PM
- Win a Canon EOS Rebel T3 DSLR in the Rebel Photographer Giveaway
- 10:44 AM
- Apple Releases OS Yosemite Public Beta 2, iTunes 12 Beta
- 10:27 AM
- Report Claims Apple Scrambling After Last Minute iPhone 6 Screen Redesign
- 9:32 AM
- Apple Adds Humana, UnitedHealth to HealthKit Discussions
- 8:45 AM
- OS X Finder: Customize Your Desktop
- Thu,8:02 PM
- Week of Who, Day Four: Inspector Spacetime
- 6:52 PM
- Apple Releases Keynote 6.2.2 with ‘Stability Improvements’
- 6:45 PM
- Apple Releases iMovie 10.0.5 for iCloud and iMovie Theater
- 6:27 PM
- Antminer S3 453 GH/s Bitcoin Mining Rigs Improve Energy Efficiency
- 6:13 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-08-21
- 5:20 PM
- Apple’s Stock Holds Above $100 with New Record Close