Sony Charges to Remove Crapware from Vaios
Editorial - Sony Charges to Remove Crapware from Vaios
by , 2:25 PM EDT, March 21st, 2008
Sony is charging customers to remove trialware and other unwanted software from their new Vaio TZ notebook computers. It's hardly surprising that the MacBook Air is selling so well.
Others have dubbed it crapware. It's all that extra stuff that's installed on a new PC that no one wants. But the vendor receives a little bit of money that offsets the ultra-slim profit margins in the cut-throat PC industry. It just goes to show how much baggage the PC industry has acquired
Here's a screen shot from the CTO page for the VGN-TZ2000:
Last year, Dell announced that based on customer feedback, they would make the trialware a configuration option for the customer.
Sony, however, has decided to charge the customer US$50 to have it removed before shipment. The option is called "Fresh Start," trademarked no less. And to get that option, the user must spend an additional US$100 to upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Vista Business. Total cost: $150.00.
Apple notebook computers are taking the world by storm, contributing to ever increasing market share for Apple, and daily make headline news as celebrities like Charlie Rose and Martha Stewart rave about their new MacBook Air.
One has to wonder what Sony is thinking. Perhaps they need some executives like Steve Jobs to bang some heads.
- Tue,8:51 PM
- GTAT Announces ‘Amicable Parting’ of Ways with Apple
- 6:50 PM
- How I Came to Own and Sell a TAM Probably Owned by Jony Ive
- 5:01 PM
- Adobe KnowHow: Learn Photography From The Best for $29.99
- 4:49 PM
- How To Get Ready For iOS 8.1 [Update]
- 2:59 PM
- Chuck La Tournous and Chris Breen to Speak at NJMUG’s 30th Anniversary Tuesday
- 2:24 PM
- Don’t Upgrade to Yosemite or iOS 8.1 Before You Read This Column
- 2:06 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-10-21
- 12:29 PM
- How Apple Pay Mitigates Breach Fatigue
- 10:50 AM
- How to Enable Apple’s SMS Relay on your Mac or iPad
- 9:43 AM
- Apple Earnings Smackdown Ranks Analyst Predictions
- Mon,9:52 PM
- Apple Q4 Earnings Sliced And Diced
- 8:21 PM
- Apple Q4 MacBook Sales Hit Record Breaking Numbers, Jump 25 Percent