Apple Releases Update to iTunes
Apple Releases Update to iTunes
by , 11:45 AM EDT, July 17th, 2002
During the MACWORLD expo keynote this morning, Steve Jobs announced several updates to familiar applications. iTunes has been updated to iTunes 3, with a host of new features, most of which revolve around the idea of Smart Playlists. Also included in iTunes 3 is the ability to stream from Audible.com, and the addition of Sound Check, which adjusts the volume of songs in order to produce a more consistent listening experience. According to Apple:
Smart Playlists are playlists that automatically and dynamically update their songs based on simple rules set by the user. For example, a user can specify that a Smart Playlist contain every song by a given artist, and when new songs by that artist are added to iTunes' music library, they will automatically appear in this playlist. Or, a user can specify that a Smart Playlist contain their 25 most-listened-to songs, which will be dynamically selected based on the up-to-the-minute play counts for all the songs in their iTunes library.
"iTunes 3 with Smart Playlists is a major leap forward in the digital music revolution," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iTunes 3 and iPod provide the easiest to use and most advanced digital music experience available, and are setting the pace for the industry."
With its elegant user interface, iTunes was the first "digital jukebox" application to take the complexity out of managing digital music, making it fast and easy to encode MP3s, create playlists, burn custom CDs and store an entire digital music collection on a Mac. iTunes seamlessly integrates with iPod, allowing Mac users to easily transfer their entire digital music collection onto their iPod in less than 10 seconds per CD.
In iTunes 3, Smart Playlists make it easy for customers to automatically create mixes of their favorite songs from their music library based on any criteria they choose-artist, genre, play count, release date and more. These mixes can dynamically change and grow as the user's music library grows. Smart Playlists work with iTunes' new song rating feature so that users can identify their favorite music and have it automatically added to a Smart Playlist for playback on their Mac or their iPod.
With support for Audible content, iTunes 3 allows Mac users to access a broad range of audio programming over the Internet. Through Audible.com, customers can choose from over 4,500 audiobooks and 14,000 other audio programs, including national best sellers, classics and daily highlights from The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. With iTunes 3 and iPod, Mac users have the flexibility to listen to Audible content whenever and wherever they want. Both iTunes 3 and iPod also support Sound Check, which automatically adjusts the volume of songs for a more consistent listening experience.
- Mac OS X version 10.1.4 or later required
- Macintosh with built-in USB ports
- 400MHz G3 processor or better recommended
- 256 MB RAM recommended
iTunes 3 is available immediately as a free download.
The Mac Observer Spin:While nothing in the update is earth-shattering, it's great to see Apple constantly thinking of ways to improve the listener's music experience. The idea of Smart Playlists is innovative, and we can't think of any other music application that you can tailor to fit your personal needs as well as iTunes.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Wed,5:25 PM
- ACM 358: The Devil’s Advocate, Apple Scaling, and Tim Cook’s Speeches
- 5:00 PM
- Hulu Is Going to Launch What Was Denied to Apple: A Cable-like Internet Subscription Service
- 4:53 PM
- ThinCharge iPhone 6/6s Battery Case (Black): $56.99
- 3:10 PM
- The Internet of Things is Really a Thing in Germany
- 2:47 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-05-04: The Big HomeKit and Apple Smoke Detector Rant
- 9:52 AM
- FBI’s TOR, VPN-targeted Warrants Amount to Court Sanctioned Mass Surveillance
- 9:10 AM
- OS X: Turning Off Inline Mail Attachments
- Tue,9:03 PM
- Apple Snags 10% of Time’s 50 Most Influential Gadgets of All Time
- 6:29 PM
- ‘IPHONE’ Trademark Fight Illustrates Apple’s Headwinds in China
- 5:25 PM
- Drone Ballet Show at Mt. Fuji - Beautiful Performance and Music
- 5:16 PM
- Last Chance for Scrivener 2 at $22.50