Macworld Show Floor Packed
Macworld Boston - Macworld Show Floor Packed
by , 2:30 PM EDT, July 13th, 2004
OPINION -- Although this year's Macworld Boston is a bit smaller than even last summer's Macworld New York, the show floor is packed with Mac users (see our images from Day 1). IDG's official estimate remains at an expected turnout of 10,000 people, and actual numbers will not be released until IDG's attendance figures are fully audited, but the 79 vendors in attendance seem to have all the foot traffic they can handle.
The East Coast Macworld had been the biggest technology show on the East Coast until last year's show was renamed Macworld CreativePro and downsized. That show saw approximately 14,000 attendees and 130 exhibitors and, as we reported last year, was also a hit with those who actually came.
The difference between that show and this one, however, is the fact that Apple isn't at the Boston show. When IDG announced last year that it was moving the show back to Boston, Apple pulled out of the Boston show, leaving its future in doubt. With the company pulling 10,000 to the Boston show without Apple, by most measures it is a success.
Of course, the broader question is whether or not the show is a success for the platform as a whole. In my opinion, the platform benefits greatly from the PR that Macworld typically generates. Judging by the empty press room, there will be no such publicity this time; but, again, Apple isn't here, and that has as much to do with that as anything else.
That means the platform is the biggest loser from this nonsense between IDG and Apple, but the reality is that there is a very positive vibe on the show floor from both the exhibitors and the attendees. With IDG already plugging next year's show, it will be interesting to see how the focus of the Boston Expo develops over time. It will be even more interesting if Apple were to come back to the show in some future year. I shan't hold our breath waiting for that to happen, however.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Tue,8:45 PM
- PSA: If You’re Having Network Troubles, Turn Off Wi-Fi Calling
- 6:20 PM
- $100 Off Apple Watch, $125 Off 128GB iPad Air 2, Today Only
- 6:05 PM
- HyperDrive MacBook Storage Expander: $19.95
- 3:00 PM
- Hewlett-Packard’s Z27s is a 27-inch 4K Display for Your Mac Without the 4K Price
- 1:34 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-11-24: The Big Mac Pro Smackdown
- 11:13 AM
- Dell Fails Security 101 with eDellRoot Certificate Flaw
- 9:31 AM
- Apple Targets February for China Apple Pay Launch
- 8:50 AM
- iOS 9: Control Siri’s Sounds
- Mon,8:30 PM
- 60% Off Stock Vaja Cases for iPhone, iPad
- 6:58 PM
- Apple Pay Explained in 74 Seconds (Video)
- 6:42 PM
- Square Rolls Out 100 Apple Pay NFC Terminals to Merchants