The Mac Observer

Skip navigational links

ATTENTION:

The TMO forums (including all posts and user accounts) have moved to http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/forums/ as of November 30, 2008. The old forums will remain in place here as an archive for any existing links, and new posts will be accepted at the new forums home.

The Mac Observer Forums

You are here: TMO Forum IndexApple Finance Board

What part of unlimited does Rogers not understand? RSS Feed Topic: What part of unlimited does Rogers not understand?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

← View previous topic :: View next topic →

Reply to topic

sstenner

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:26 pm —

Those prices for service with Rogers are just obscene! I wish *I* could boycott them!

char2010

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:05 pm —

Back in 2001 the first ipod came out costing around $400 for 5 gig. I thought it was quite expensive but many people ended up buying them. IF we had bought $400 of apple stock at the time (at about $9 a share) instead of the ipod, that $400 would be worth close to $8000 today. I sure wish I had done that instead of buying one!

Maybe I will take the $5000 this rogers contract would cost me for 3 years and put it into AAPL instead! At the same growth rate that $5000 would be worth around $100 000 in 7 years. Then I could afford to buy the 2015 model iPhone AND pay for a Rogers data plan!

Thanks for helping me make such a great decision Rogers!

pats

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:10 pm —

char2010 wrote:
Back in 2001 the first ipod came out costing around $400 for 5 gig. I thought it was quite expensive but many people ended up buying them. IF we had bought $400 of apple stock at the time (at about $9 a share) instead of the ipod, that $400 would be worth close to $8000 today. I sure wish I had done that instead of buying one!

Maybe I will take the $5000 this rogers contract would cost me for 3 years and put it into AAPL instead! At the same growth rate that $5000 would be worth around $100 000 in 7 years. Then I could afford to buy the 2015 model iPhone AND pay for a Rogers data plan!

Thanks for helping me make such a great decision Rogers!

I think it's a great plan, but since it's a monthly contract, I would invest the 5000 now and then look at the numbers in Sep 08. Maybe you can afford the contract much sooner then you think. I tried that strategy the first time I bought Apple stock. I bought a fat Mac and told myself I would buy a new Mac once my 1000$ stock purchase was worth the price of a new mac about 3000$. Problem was it never made it. Sold the stock and still bought a new MAC a Quadra and then implemented the same strategy. Second time failed. I figured third times a charm so I bought again in 1999 and have been long since. Needless to say, Apple has done well and I continue to buy their toys.

artman1033

Ignore User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:13 am —

THIS letter has over 16,000 signers. But, since it is an internet "poll", anyone around the world can sign it. So, it may be worthless. Too bad the originators did not limit the signers to IP addresses originating in Canada.

You can call me GRANDPA!

gatesofhell wrote:
The response to this thread has been ARTMANESQUE to say the least.

sleepygeek

Ignore User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:29 am —

The petition is now limited to Canadians. It seems to be having an effect: iPhone 3G in Canada: Rogers Spinning in PR Panic?

Rogers appears to have responded by blocking customer access to http://www.ruinediphone.com/ so they can't sign the petition!

Rrocco

Ignore User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:37 am —

sleepygeek wrote:
The petition is now limited to Canadians. It seems to be having an effect: iPhone 3G in Canada: Rogers Spinning in PR Panic?

Rogers appears to have responded by blocking customer access to http://www.ruinediphone.com/ so they can't sign the petition!

Hmm... Thats strange. I'm with a different service provider and I can't get to it either.

danthemason

Ignore User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:40 am —

there is a plot afoot.

"Yes. My retirement portfolio if diversified on a global scale. I own Apple." Thanks DT

sleepygeek

Ignore User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:16 am —

Rrocco wrote:
Hmm... Thats strange. I'm with a different service provider and I can't get to it either.
Try using translate.google.com to translate from French (e.g.) to English (no it's not in French, but Google doesn't mind).

CdnPhoto

Ignore User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:12 am —

sleepygeek wrote:

Turns out the web site was over whelmed. The site is back up now. Over 22,500 people signed so far.

michelc

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:39 pm — 400 MB for 3100 Pages

Here is an email I sent to Mrs Hamilton earlier today

Mrs Hamilton

As per Rogers, we should be able to see 3100 web pages with 400 Mb of data. I contact Mr Andy King from the web site you quote, websiteoptimization.com, to justify your 3100 pages. As per him and a book that will be publish july 17 the average web page is now 312 K that would transfer in only 1312 web pages with the 400 Mb.

So if last week 3100 pages was " a high value package" for Rogers, with those new stats, in order to have the same count, of pages we should have around 945 Mb of data in the plan to judtify the 3100 pages claim.

If Rogers is true to his word, they should bump up all iPhone Plan to take in account this new data or stop saying that 400MB = 3100 pages. This in my book is false advertising, I wont even go to the 200 000 emails with 400MB when the header of a standard email is almost 2Ko.....

Sincerely,

Michel Contant CA
Boucherville Quebec

Hopefully somehow Rogers gonna move. I'm so pI???off that i won,t buy the iPhon next week.

sleepygeek

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:41 am —

The wrath of SJ turns upon them . . . too good to leave hidden at AAPL Sanity:

Apple Flips Rogers the Bird A Week Before Canadian iPhone Launch?

Rogers cut back to token launch stocks?

CdnPhoto

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:35 am —

What is also interesting is that the other carriers who in the past have been just about as bad as Rogers have come out with unlimited data plans.

Bell offers Samsung Instinct with $10 UL data plan

Telus offers the HTC Diamond with a $30 UL data plan.

The other wireless carriers have very quickly jumped on the opportunity that Rogers created for them and are offering unlimited plans for their top phones. These phones are also less for initial purchase than the iPhone.

If Rogers doesn't pull a rabbit out of their hat in the next couple of days, don't expect great iPhone sales numbers out of Canada. Then again, that's not a bad thing. If Canadian sales are low and the rest of the world has sales that are through the roof, maybe Rogers will notice. The media will notice for sure.

smithereensblog

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:44 pm —

sleepygeek wrote:

Sleepygeek, thanks for sharing this. Just as a pre-emptive defence (there's a new term for you), I know the temptation to take tech rumours with a grain of salt is high, and especially Apple rumours. But I can assure you that something is definitely going on here. Check out the rest of my blog if you doubt my editorial integrity- I'm not the type to splog or linkbait. I just had to publish such a juicy piece of news!

Now as I said in the article, this could be something as simple as a shipping or production delay that's been blown out of proportion. I haven't ruled that out. But thousands of part-time hired-for-iPhone staffers have definitely been let go (My source is a Rogers Wireless store manager.) Something's definitely up, whether it is indeed an Apple power play is up for debate.

artman1033

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:55 pm —

smithereensblog wrote:

Now as I said in the article, this could be something as simple as a shipping or production delay that's been blown out of proportion.

Welcome to the AFB Dan. Nice blog!

I sure hope AAPL does not run out of 3g iphones the first month. It is completely expected that the carriers may run out. But not AAPL!

You can call me GRANDPA!

gatesofhell wrote:
The response to this thread has been ARTMANESQUE to say the least.

TMO Forum Mod
SNIPUS

TMO Forum Mod

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:58 pm —

sleepygeek wrote:

Thanks SG. This is credible and hopefully true. I am still shaking my head trying to understand why Apple would do business with these mountebanks. I will never, ever, buy any product whereby Rogers profits. I hope Canadians boycott this company as this pricing gouge is just the most recent example of their predatory practices

edit: Thank you also Dan and welcome to AFB. Great first post and hope we hear more from you

Last edited by SNIPUS on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

smithereensblog

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:01 pm —

artman1033 wrote:

Welcome to the AFB Dan. Nice blog!

I sure hope AAPL does not run out of 3g iphones the first month. It is completely expected that the carriers may run out. But not AAPL!

Wow, a forum where my first message is kind and welcoming, instead of unwarranted flaming. How refreshing!

Thanks for the positive feedback and the welcome. I'll be around more often for sure.

willrob

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:33 pm —

Apple not happy with Rogers over iPhone plan pricing?

We?ve heard through the grapevine that Apple isn?t pleased with Rogers right now, due to their insanely high iPhone data prices. This isn?t 100% confirmed at the moment, but here?s what is rumored to have happened:

* Rogers hired additional sales staff to handle the iPhone launch, all of whom have been fired effective immediately
* Apple has informed Rogers that they will be diverting a ?large percentage? of their iPhone stock that was destined for Canadian shores, sending it instead to their European distributors. According to the rumor, this would leave Rogers with as few as 10-20 units per store for launch day.

The consumer backlash against Roger?s data rates was understandable, but we?re honestly a bit shocked to see Apple reacting in a similar fashion. Cupertino is doing one of two things here: they?re either attempting to strong-arm Rogers into lowering their data tariffs and making the iPhone more accessible to average consumers, or they really have simply given up and are abandoning the Canadian market in favor of a European market that seems a bit more eager to, uh, allow people to purchase an iPhone without mortgaging their Moose farm. Let?s hope, for the sake of our Canadian friends up North, that Apple is simply trying to affect some change, and that Rogers will be forced to comply by next Friday. Any more takers for the Rogers petition?

michelc

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:23 pm — Packaging

I have a hard time to beleive that one week before launch Apple would send Canadian iPhone to Europe.

Just pacakging wise there is law in each country about what should be in the package (approval from each country regulator agency for example or language inside the package) So I doubt that They will just ship to Europe some iPhone already package for Canada

I would say that either this would have happen way before today , or they haven't been ship/package yet...

The only way to put pressure on Rogers is either don't buy or if possible put only a voice plan on it and use wifi....

TMO Forum Mod
SNIPUS

TMO Forum Mod

Ignore User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:04 pm —

TMO Staff
DawnTreader

TMO Staff

Ignore User Send e-mail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:11 pm —

This all makes for a nice story. I've yet to hear a Canadian member speak highly (or even express satisfaction) about the quality of service or product pricing from Rogers.

Reply to topic

TMO Forum IndexApple Finance Board All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: