Mac Gaming News - Blizzard Sets a New 1-Day Sales Record With Lich King
by , 2:55 PM EST, November 20th, 2008
Blizzard Entertainment on Thursday announced that its Wrath of the Lich King expansion pack for World of Warcraft (WoW) sold more than 2.8 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability, breaking the industry record it set in January 2007, when 2.4 million copies of the WoW expansion The Burning Crusade were sold in the same time period.
Over 15,000 stores around the world opened at midnight on November 13 to sell the game and hold release parties. Blizzard employees were on hand at several of those events to meet players and sign copies of the game.
More than 11 million players are active World of Warcraft subscribers worldwide. The game is set in the world of Azeroth, where two factions, known as the Horde and the Alliance, battle for control. Wrath of the Lich King reintroduces a character first seen in the strategy game Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. The Lich King Arthas and his minions known as the Scourge are bent on conquering Azeroth, and the Horde and Alliance have put aside their differences to battle his forces on the continent of Northrend, which is new to the game.
The sight that greets Horde players when they arrive in Northrend
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Fri,7:00 PM
- Apple Kills the Thunderbolt Display - Will the Mac Pro Be Next?
- 6:54 PM
- 6 Great Display Choices for Your MacBook Pro and Mac Pro
- 6:25 PM
- Apple Drops 2.81% in Broad Brexit Selloff
- 5:01 PM
- G Cloud Unlimited Backup for iPhone and Android: 5-Year Subscription for $29.99
- 1:46 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-06-24: Goodbye Thunderbolt Display, Spinning off the Mac
- 11:48 AM
- Plex Media Server Turns 1.0!
- 9:05 AM
- OS X: Using Policy Banner for Custom Login Screens
- Thu,9:01 PM
- Apple Discontinues Thunderbolt Display, Directs Customers to Unspecified 3rd Party Displays
- 8:55 PM
- Apple Adds RAW Support for 15 DSLR Cameras from Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony
- 6:20 PM
- How to Display Calories or kJ on your iPhone/Apple Watch Health Apps
- 5:20 PM
- Ingrein ‘Smartclock’ Shows Important Notifications to Help You Detach from Your Screen