December 16th, 1999
|[10:30 AM] Power On With Mac OS 9 Update To Now Up-to-Date & Contact
The good people at Power On Software have announced the long awaited update to Now Up-to-Date & Contact that brings Mac OS 9 compatibility to the product. Now Up-to-Date & Contact is a Personal Information Manager that was among the most popular Mac apps of all time. Power On Software bought the product from Qualcomm where it languished for several years. Qualcomm, in turn, had acquired it from Now when that firm ceased development. According to Power On:
Power On Software, Inc. announced today that it had commenced shipments of a new version of the best-selling Macintosh contact manager and calendaring product in the history of the Macintosh. The Eddy Award winning product is the easiest, fastest Personal Information Manager available on any computer platform. The new release, Now Up-to-Date® & Contact, is Power On's first revision of the product since acquiring it from QUALCOMM, Incorporated. The new version 3.8 offers compatibility with all Macintosh operating systems from version 7 through the recently released OS 9.
In conjunction with this product release, CNET's Download.com is hosting an exclusive feature on Now Up-to-Date & Contact Version 3.8. A fully functional trial version of Now Up-to-Date & Contact can be downloaded from http://www.download.com beginning at 12 p.m. EST (9 a.m. PST).
Always in a class by itself, Now Up-to-Date & Contact offers blazing speed, even on older Mac hardware, together with flexibility and ease of use that set it apart from every other product in the category. Superb as a standalone single user product, it offers amazing flexibility in a multi-user environment, where group scheduling is a snap and contacts and calendar events can be shared or marked as private. Among some of its outstanding features are:
- Blazing speed makes finding a single contact or group of contacts instantaneous
- Maintains complete contact histories of phone calls, correspondence, completed items, notes and open to-do's
- Automatically logs e-mail messages sent from Now Contact using all popular e-mail programs
- AutoType makes data entry a breeze as Now Contact automatically enters names, addresses, or any other data
- Find contacts instantly by just typing in initials or a few letters of a name
- Sort lists with a click, even adding multiple sort levels with an additional click
- One click searches for all contacts of a certain category
- Use keywords to further refine contact searches
- Server based architecture permits multiple users even in remote locations via TCP/IP connection
- Publish schedules and contacts to the web and share with anyone, even if they don't own Now Contact and Up-to-Date with Now Web Publisher which is included free!
- Drag and Drop data management elevates Drag and Drop to a new level of elegance and intelligence
- Automatic synchronization of files between different computers, including PowerBooks and Desktops
- Complete printing and word processing built in, with incredible flexibility and customization options for printing labels, envelopes, letters, faxes, and all popular calendar formats, such as DayRunner, Avery, Franklin and Day Planner
- Built in mail merge makes handling large contact lists a snap
- Built in automatic timer tracks time spent on specific items to provide a complete record of time expenditures
- Link files from any application to contact records
- Drag contacts on to the calendar to schedule events automatically
- Flexible reminders and alarm notification ensure no appointments or deadlines are missed
- Automatically launch documents related to an appointment
- Extensive on line help
- Calendar offers day, multi-day, week, month, and Year Views
- Add banners and custom graphics to calendars
- Automate creation of recurring events
- Workgroup calendaring permits invitations to be sent and automatically set up
- QuickPad allows entry of notes in English (such as lunch with Bob) and have Now Up-to-Date & Contact enter the appointment automatically and schedule it for the correct time and person without running Now Up-to-Date & Contact
- QuickContact keeps all your important contacts available in the menu bar without even having to open the application and allows searching for an important number without launching Now Contact
- QuickDay permits entry of appointments and setting of reminders from the menu bar's control panel without having Now Up-to-Date running
All these features just scratch the surface of the power and flexibility of Now Up-to-Date & Contact. Changes made by one user to a calendar are automatically synchronized, keeping everyone informed with the latest information. Even if a user disconnects from the network, the contacts go along, and are automatically distributed upon return and reconnection to the network. With support for the latest telephony protocols such as TAPI and its Internet integration, Now Up-to-Date & Contact provides the tried, tested, state of the art contact management and calendaring solution for the Mac.
The update is free to owners who purchased the previous version from Power On Software after July 21st, 1999. The company is offering previous owners of the product and upgrade price of US$39.95. The full version is priced at US$99.95 for a boxed version, and US$89.95 for an electronic download.
The Mac Observer Spin: This product is important to the Mac market and lots of Mac users will no doubt be very happy that Power On has delivered yet again on a great utility.
Power On Software