November 5th, 1999
|[4:30 PM] More Minsweeper Madness In The Form Of A Public Beta
In what is turning into a bonanza week for Minesweeper fans, another Minesweeper game has hit the market. Carrot Software has released a public beta of their version called Mega Minesweeper. Mega Minesweeper is a feature packed collection of Minesweeper games, and the company even provides a list of reasons for you to try it. ;-) According to Carrot Software:
Carrot Software is pleased to announce the availability of Mega Minesweeper in a public beta release. It is now available for download. This game is being released to the Macintosh community as freeware!
Some of it's features:
- Supports fields sizes of up to 32,767 x 32,767
- Thousands of colors for great looking graphics!
- Fully optimized for Appearance Manager (proportional thumbs, theme compliant dialogs, live scrolling, etc.)
- Offscreen drawing to support flicker-free updates and FAST scrolling.
- Allows user interaction while playing.
- Save and Open Games via Navigation Services or Standard open/save boxes.
- Floating Window containing Statistics.
- Floating Navigator window.
- Choose from Small, Medium, or Large field sizes.
- Customize the appearance of Mega Minesweeper with Theme based plug-ins.
- Customize the sound effects with plug-ins.
System Requirements: - PowerPC running 8.1 or newer (8.6 recommended) - Monitor that supports thousands of colors (16-bit)
Reasons to try it:
- "Ah, I can finally get rid of Virtual PC!"
- "Perhaps the most convincing argument to date against running Windows"
- "The best of Windows is now available on the Mac... FREE!"
- "The best of Windows is now available on the Mac. Only better. As usual."
- "Because Mac users have down time, too. Sometimes."
- "One less reason for PC Weenies to bash the Mac."
- "Do not exceed daily dosage without a prescription."
- "Warning: Contents may be extremely addictive."
- "For people who want to have even less of a life than they do now."
- "It's Minesweeper. Only better."
You can find more information and download links for the public beta at the company's web site.