November 15th, 1999
|[8:30 AM] Paint This Rainbow With All Manner Of New Features
Addiction Interactive has updated Rainbow Painter to version 1.5.0. The new version of the image editing program adds a number of help type features, giving users more information about the program's functionality, as well as a host of performance enhancements and bug fixes. According to Addiction Interactive:
The new version includes the following features:
New user interface features:
- 'Tips' added (accessible from the main menu, press 'Esc'), where you'll find useful hints and tips.
- 'FAQ' added (accessible from the main menu, press 'Esc'), where you'll find some frequently asked questions and their answers.
- 'Info' buttons added to the dialogs of all picture effects, picture operations, and layer operations. Clicking on the 'Info' button will bring up brief info about the effect/operation and how it works.
New image editing features:
- New picture format: JPEG/JFIF pictures can now be imported.
- New picture effects: "Charcoal", "Ink", "Oil-Paint", "Crayon", "Night Driving", "Tutti Frutti", "Cloth", "Glow Flakes".
- New picture operations: "Scale", "Flip", "Crop".
- New picture tools: "Scroll Layer", "Square Selection".
- You can now make a 'Selection' using the picture tool "Square Selection". The 'Selection' is supported by all picture effects (so they only affect the selected area), as well as some picture/layer operations.
Improved image editing features:
- All picture effects now support 'Selection'.
- The picture operation 'Crop To Alpha' has been replaced with 'Crop', which crops to 'Selection' (if no selection has been made, it crops to alpha).
- The name of the layer operation 'Copy' has been changed to 'Transfer', and it now supports 'Selection' (on the source picture).
- In the picture effect dialogs, the 'Effect strength' has been replaced with 'Intensity' and 'Opacity'.
- Misc. changes and improvements have been made to some dialogs.
- Running Rainbow Painter from CD crashed the program. Now an alert is displayed, telling the user not to run from CD.
- The layer operation 'Move' corrupted the picture if all edit buttons were turned off.
- Trying to 'Undo' after using the layer operation 'New' with all edit buttons turned off, would corrupt the picture.
- Having two 'Realtime Zoom' contents visible at the same time could, in some rare cases, crash the program.
- Trying to apply an effect when no edit buttons were switched on, did not generate an error dialog.
- Importing a picture didn't work if the file's extension was in lower case.
Rainbow Painter is available as shareware for US$20. You can find more information at the Addiction Interactive web site.