September 8th, 1999
Screen Grabbing Utility Updated With Major New Features
||St. Clair Software has released a major update to Screen Catcher 1.5, their screen capture utility for the Mac. The new version includes several new features as well as bug fixes. According to St. Clair Software:
St. Clair Software has released version 1.5 of Screen Catcher, its popular screen capture application. This update offers both improved compatibility and additional features.
Highlights of the changes in Screen Catcher 1.5 include:
- The ability to print images directly to a printer.
- After auto-saving a file, Screen Catcher can open it automatically in another application, such as Photoshop, so users can seamlessly use the best tools available for further image editing.
- Screen captures can be scaled automatically or manually.
- Any hotkey can now be used to invoke Screen Catcher.
- Cursors can now be captured on all systems.
- Numerous compatibility fixes have been made, including the resolution of problems with OSA Menu, and fixes for occasional color-matching errors.
ABOUT SCREEN CATCHER
Screen Catcher is a screen capture application capable of taking snapshots of screen images and saving them as PICT, GIF, or JPEG files. It also allows images to be captured to the clipboard, the printer, or to Screen Catcher's own windows, where they can manipulated to change the color palette or reduce the number of colors in the image before copying, printing, or saving.
Screen Catcher allows users to:
- Precisely select an area before capturing an image, including pixel-by-pixel control using the arrow keys
- Capture pulled down menus
- Capture the cursorAutomatically name and save image files to any folder
- Convert images to the standard 216-color web browser palette, Microsoft Windows (R) palette, Macintosh color or grayscale palettes, or an optimally chosen color palette
- Resize images manually or automatically
- Read and write progressive JPEG files
- Read and write GIF files with interlacing and transparency
- Reduce or change color palettes automatically
- Open images in any program after they are saved to a file
- Copy and paste, drag and drop, and undo operations
- Generate URLs for images, including WIDTH and HEIGHT tags
Screen Catcher requires a color-capable Macintosh or compatible running System 7 or higher, including Mac OS 8.6. It is distributed as shareware, requiring a $25 registration fee for use beyond a free 30 day trial period.
You can find more information and download links for the product at the company's web site. The update is free to registered users while the full version is priced at US$25.
St. Clair Software