Crumpler School Hymn Laptop Case
Review - Crumpler School Hymn Laptop Case
by , 9:00 AM EDT, May 14th, 2007
Crumpler bags are generally terrific products, and we've been fans of the company's offerings at The Mac Observer for many years. Today we're going to look at the MacBook Pro School Hymn 15", part of the broader School Hymn line for MacBooks and PowerBooks.
The School Hymn is a fairly no-nonsense carrying case for your MacBook or PowerBook. It's made of durable PVC (or "Crumpler Synthesized Preskin Fabric" as Crumpler named it) with a snakeskin-like texture, and has a lightly padded interior (see image below). The case itself is semi-rigid, and is open and closed with a zipper that opens all the away around.
What I like about this case is that, much like my MacBook Pro, it just works. It's a case that holds your MacBook Pro, protecting it from the elements, your coffee, etc. There's no room for carrying anything else inside the case -- it's not intended to be a briefcase -- but it's almost perfect (see below) for carrying my laptop to a meeting, a coffee shop, or wherever.
While I wouldn't want to drop my MacBook Pro under any circumstances, the School Hymn's semi-rigid construction leaves me feeling a lot more secure about hauling it around. Again, it's not intended to protect your MacBook from a fall, but it will protect it from hits, bumps, and getting knocked around.
I have also used the School Hymn to hold my laptop while using it on my lap and while lying in bed. It keeps the heat well away from me, but it's light enough not to be uncomfortable. I've done this scores of times in the last several months, and haven't seen any deleterious effects on the bag, so whether or not Crumpler intended this use, I think it does a great job.
When I asked Crumpler if this use was intended, a company spokesperson told me, "the School Hymn does have the dual purpose of protecting your lap or bed sheets from a hot drink." In other words, it was designed with this in mind.
The only thing the School Hymn is missing is a handle. One might argue -- and indeed this seems to be Crumpler's take -- that a handle isn't necessary for a semi-rigid laptop case, but it would make using it as your only case a truly perfect solution. As it is, you either put the School Hymn in another bag (something I have done), or you carry it under your arm or in your hands (something I have also done).
The Bottom Line
As it is, if you're looking for something short of a briefcase style laptop bag, the School Hymn is a great solution. It's well made, looks great, and does what it's intended to do just about perfectly. It's hard to ask for more.
- Thu,4:40 PM
- Last Chance To Save 55% On The Code Black HD Camera Drone
- 3:54 PM
- FCC Reclassifies Internet Providers in Net Neutrality Vote
- 1:51 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-02-26: Apple Spring Forward Media Event, Net Neutrality
- 12:27 PM
- Apple Invites Media to March 9th ‘Spring Forward’ Event
- 11:14 AM
- Brikk to Sell Diamond-coated Apple Watch for $75K
- 10:37 AM
- Build Your Own LEGO Oscars Statue
- 9:07 AM
- Apple Products Dropped from China Government Buy List
- 1:53 AM
- Tim Cook Reportedly Showers with Apple Watch, Suggesting It’s Waterproof
- Wed,9:30 PM
- Apple CEO Tim Cook to Give Commencement Speech at George Washington University
- 6:53 PM
- ACM 295: Pebble Time, Samsung Cars, and Being an Apple Fan Today
- 6:12 PM
- Griffin Survivor Slim Case for iPhone 6/6 Plus: Serious Protection
- 6:02 PM
- Full Stack Hacker Developer Training Bundle: $49