Analyst: Apple Product Availability Improving; Tiger Outselling TurboTax
TMO Reports - Analyst: Apple Product Availability Improving; Tiger Outselling TurboTax
by , 10:55 AM EST, March 31st, 2005
In a research note obtained by The Mac Observer, Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster told clients Thursday that Apple had reduced lead times, particularly for the Mac mini and iPod shuffle, which were until recently heavily backordered. He also noted that Apple had eight of the top 10 music players at Amazon.com, and that Tiger pre-orders was the number one selling software title, outselling even seasonal mega-seller TurboTax.
Mr. Munster told clients that:
- The 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 estimated ship time declined to same business day from 5-7 days.
- Both versions of the Mac mini decreased from 1-2 weeks to 5-7 days.
- Both versions of the iPod Shuffle (512 megabyte and 1 gigabyte) declined to same business day from 1-3 days and 5-7 days respectively.
- The estimated days to ship the PowerBook G4 has decreased from 4-6 days to 1-2 days.
The sole exception to having improved estimated shipping time was the U2 iPod Special Edition, which Mr. Munster speculated might be related to strong U2 Vertigo 2005 Concert Tour ticket sales.
Apple's delivery times are often watched by analysts, especially among its most popular products. This has been particularly the case with Apple's iPod product line, where massive success has come with the kinds of wait times that can drive customers to competing products. Many of Apple's most popular products are now shipping same business day.
Mr. Munster also made note of something often reported by Mac Web sites, that Apple's position in retailing giant Amazon's top selling lists remained strong. Apple currently has four of the top 10 best selling computers, eight of the top 10 best selling music players, and the number one selling software title.
He wrote, "Apple's OS X 10.4 (Tiger) operating system software, which has not been released yet, was the number 1 seller in the Software Top Seller category. Though it is hard to determine how the rank translates to revenue, it is safe to say that the success of the Tiger pre-order was a surprise to us, given that it is outselling the seasonally strong TurboTax software."
Mr. Munster maintained his Outperform rating on Apple's stock, which means he expects the stock to outperform the broader market. He also reiterated his target price of US$50 for AAPL.
Apple was trading down in the lower $42 per share range in Thursday morning trading, in moderate volume.
*In the interest of full disclosure, the author holds a small share in APPL stock that was not an influence in the creation of this article.
If you are interested in Apple's stock, join our forum members in the Apple Finance Boards, a moderated forum for Apple Investors and people who are interested in Apple's financial dealings. For other stories regarding Apple's stock activity, visit our updated Apple Stock Watch Special Report.
- Thu, 3:00 AM
- An Intervention Call and a Secret Science Project - TMO Daily Observations 2022-09-29
- Wed, 4:24 PM
- Apple TV+ Announces New Untitled Documentary Featuring 'Korea's Mermaids'
- Wed, 3:45 PM
- Apple Looking to Ready Apple Music Classical for Debut Sometime This Year
- Wed, 2:47 PM
- Tim Cook Talks About Lack of Women in Tech, EarPods Sales and the Future of AR
- Wed, 2:11 PM
- Sales Numbers, New Betas and Bugs, and Fresh Teardowns Seen From the Observation Deck
- Wed, 1:37 PM
- AirPods Pro 2 Feature Mystery Metal Insert Welded to Lightning Port
- Wed, 1:26 PM
- How the New Live Activities Feature in iOS 16.1 Works with Dynamic Island
- Wed, 12:46 PM
- Apple Rejects TSMC Bid to Increase Chip Price
- Wed, 12:06 PM
- Apple Looking to Ditch Production Increase of iPhone 14 Series Due to Lowering Demand
- Wed, 11:45 AM
- New iPadOS 16.1 Beta Enables Stage Manager on Older iPad Pros
- Wed, 10:56 AM
- Apple Shares How the iPad Pro Helps Archaeologists Preserve the Ancient History of Pompeii
- Wed, 3:00 AM
- Things You Should Not Do with Your Apple Watch Ultra - TMO Daily Observations 2022-09-28