Analyst: OS X Coming to iPod
Analyst: OS X Coming to iPod
by , 8:15 AM EDT, July 9th, 2007
While Apple's public focus recently has been on the iPhone, the company has likely been focusing on the iPod behind the scenes. Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster expects consumers will see the fruits of those labors before the end of the year in the form of new iPods with iPhone-like features and a new operating system: OS X.
"We believe the iPhone reveals much of what the iPod will soon be. Specifically, we expect Apple to release high capacity iPods based on OS X sometime during or before MacWorld '08 in January," he said. "These iPods will likely have touch screen media features similar to the iPhone, but will not have the wireless phone or internet features."
Based on his research, Mr. Munster sees iPhone buyers as cell phone owners looking for a better smartphone. For these people, the iPod features are an added bonus. iPod owners, however, are looking for Apple to release better iPods, so for now are looking at the iPhone. iPhone sales may be eating into iPod sales right now, but that would likely change once new iPod models are released.
iPhone margins could also see a boost once new iPods are released. If new media player models do sport some of the same technology found in the iPhone, economies of scale will have a positive effect.
Some analysts have estimated that iPhone gross margins could be as high as 60 percent -- a number that Mr. Munster feels is skewed to the high end because the majority of iPhone customers bought the 8GB model on launch day.
He added "We believe iPhone margins are inline or slightly higher than corporate averages of about 30 percent. However, if future iPods use similar parts and software, the OS X-based iPods will add economies of scale to the iPhone business" and will ultimately improve gross margins and Apple's bottom line.
Mr. Munster is maintaining his "Outperform" rating and US$160 target price for Apple stock. Apple is currently trading in the pre-market at $132.62, up 0.35 (0.26%).
If you are interested in Apple's stock, join our forum members in the Apple Finance Boards, a moderated forum for Apple Investors and people who are interested in Apple's financial dealings. For other stories regarding Apple's stock activity, visit our updated Apple Stock Watch Special Report.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Tue,2:52 PM
- Hackers in Ireland Trying to Buy Apple Employee Logins
- 2:41 PM
- Scott Galloway on Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Google (Video)
- 1:26 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-02-09: Snagging Apple Employee Logins, Error 53 Lawsuit
- 11:23 AM
- Sony Adds Fuel to Dual Camera iPhone Rumor
- 9:16 AM
- Lawfirm Ready to File iPhone Error 53 Lawsuit
- Mon,8:25 PM
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Congrats Denver Broncos with Tweet
- 8:15 PM
- Firewatch Release on February 9th for Mac, Windows, Linux, PlayStation 4
- 7:53 PM
- Intego Warns of Fake Flash Update that Installs Scareware
- 5:30 PM
- Infographic for Spotting Fake Apple Watches
- 5:00 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview with The Wirecutter’s Editor at Large Glenn Fleishman
- 4:34 PM
- AppDelete Uninstaller for Mac: $4