Analyst: OS X Coming to iPod
Analyst: OS X Coming to iPod
by , 8:15 AM EDT, July 9th, 2007
While Apple's public focus recently has been on the iPhone, the company has likely been focusing on the iPod behind the scenes. Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster expects consumers will see the fruits of those labors before the end of the year in the form of new iPods with iPhone-like features and a new operating system: OS X.
"We believe the iPhone reveals much of what the iPod will soon be. Specifically, we expect Apple to release high capacity iPods based on OS X sometime during or before MacWorld '08 in January," he said. "These iPods will likely have touch screen media features similar to the iPhone, but will not have the wireless phone or internet features."
Based on his research, Mr. Munster sees iPhone buyers as cell phone owners looking for a better smartphone. For these people, the iPod features are an added bonus. iPod owners, however, are looking for Apple to release better iPods, so for now are looking at the iPhone. iPhone sales may be eating into iPod sales right now, but that would likely change once new iPod models are released.
iPhone margins could also see a boost once new iPods are released. If new media player models do sport some of the same technology found in the iPhone, economies of scale will have a positive effect.
Some analysts have estimated that iPhone gross margins could be as high as 60 percent -- a number that Mr. Munster feels is skewed to the high end because the majority of iPhone customers bought the 8GB model on launch day.
He added "We believe iPhone margins are inline or slightly higher than corporate averages of about 30 percent. However, if future iPods use similar parts and software, the OS X-based iPods will add economies of scale to the iPhone business" and will ultimately improve gross margins and Apple's bottom line.
Mr. Munster is maintaining his "Outperform" rating and US$160 target price for Apple stock. Apple is currently trading in the pre-market at $132.62, up 0.35 (0.26%).
If you are interested in Apple's stock, join our forum members in the Apple Finance Boards, a moderated forum for Apple Investors and people who are interested in Apple's financial dealings. For other stories regarding Apple's stock activity, visit our updated Apple Stock Watch Special Report.
- Fri, 5:06 PM
- ’Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Star Moses Ingram to Join Cast of Apple TV+ Series ‘Lady in the Lake’
- Fri, 4:31 PM
- Chris Evans Stuns the Internet By Upgrading His iPhone 6
- Fri, 4:12 PM
- Leaks Suggest Next AirPods Pro to Upgraded H1 Chip, Find My, Heart Rate Detection, USB-C and More
- Fri, 3:06 PM
- Rumors Suggest Apple to Announce 'Game-Changer' AR/MR Headset January 2023
- Fri, 3:05 PM
- Apple’s Back to School Promo Could Score You a $150 Gift Card
- Fri, 2:21 PM
- Apple-1 'Byte Shop' Model Goes for $375,000 at Thursday Auction
- Fri, 1:22 PM
- Code in iOS 16 Betas Hint at New Siri Remote for Apple TV
- Fri, 8:32 AM
- Apple’s Long Game in Mobile and Portable Computing; Choice and Versatility
- Fri, 7:32 AM
- Apple Music Student Plan Gets a Price Increase in US, UK and Canada
- Fri, 7:03 AM
- Google Chrome on iOS Gets Five New Features
- Thu, 5:40 PM
- Using Measurement Conversions in iOS 16
- Thu, 4:37 PM
- Apple TV+ Series 'Trying' Reveals Season 3 Trailer Before July Premiere