Rest for Weary Eyes: Switching Your Display to Grayscale
TMO Quick Tip - Rest for Weary Eyes: Switching Your Display to Grayscale
by , 7:30 AM EDT, October 20th, 2006
Long hours working in text editors and word processors can be a strain on your eyes, especially since the bright white background of a document window can result in a harsh contrast against the black letters in the words you type. If you don't need to see different colors in your document, switching your display to grayscale can help keep your eyes from wearing out as quickly, and can even help extend your laptop's battery life.
You can switch your display from color to grayscale in the Universal Access Preference Pane. Here's how:
- Launch System Preferences. You can find it by choosing Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Select Universal Access.
- Click the Seeing tab.
- Check Use grayscale under the Display options.
Use the Universal Access Preference Pane to switch your display to grayscale.
Grayscale is still an option on today's modern Macs.
If I plan to work for several hours on text-only documents, I switch my display to grayscale. My eyes appreciate it, and when I am using my PowerBook on battery, it tends to run longer before I have to recharge. When I'm ready to switch back to a color display, I simply uncheck the Use grayscale option.
if you have ideas for Mac related tips that you think other TMO readers might find helpful.
- Wed, 5:22 PM
- Apple and Google App Store Policies Get Slammed in New Study By India Developers
- Wed, 4:30 PM
- Retrofy Your Computer with This Old School Icon Set Inspired by the '84 Macintosh
- Wed, 4:25 PM
- Apple YouTube Ad Highlights How the iPhone Can Protect User Data from Brokers
- Wed, 4:12 PM
- How and Why to Use Zoom on Apple Watch
- Wed, 3:49 PM
- Data Shows Netflix Continues to Lose Subscribers, Including Long-Time Users
- Wed, 2:34 PM
- Apple Introduces Professional Training to Help Growing IT Workforce
- Wed, 2:21 PM
- Google Russia Forced to Declare Bankruptcy
- Wed, 1:25 PM
- Apple Executive Ian Goodfellow Leaves Company to Rejoin Google
- Wed, 1:16 PM
- Quanta Considering Relocation of MacBook Pro Factory to Increase Production
- Tue, 4:40 PM
- Star Wars Future Unveiled by Disney
- Tue, 4:18 PM
- Apple Facing Lawsuit Claims AirPods Ruptured Child's Eardrum after Amber Alert
- Tue, 3:39 PM
- Apple Delays Stricter In-Person Work Requirements Citing Rising COVID-19 Cases