Consolidating iTunes Libraries
TMO Quick Tip - Consolidating iTunes Libraries
by , 7:30 AM EDT, October 27th, 2006
Not everyone has the luxury of nearly limitless storage space for their iTunes library, and even if you do, it's kind of tough to cart around terabytes of storage when your primary computer is a laptop. Thanks to iTunes 7's Consolidate Library feature, you can add music and videos to iTunes even when your music library hard drive isn't available.
Let's say, for example, you use a MacBook Pro, and your iTunes library lives on a large external hard drive that stays behind when you travel. While you are out and about, you add a new CD you just bought to your iTunes library. Now you have two libraries: One on the hard drive that stays on your desk, and another on your MacBook Pro's built-in hard drive.
When you get back to your desk, here's what to do:
- Reconnect your iTunes library hard drive to your Mac.
- Launch iTunes 7.
- Choose Advanced > Consolidate Library.
Putting your iTunes libraries back together.
iTunes 7 will move the library from your MacBook Pro and add it to the library on your external hard drive.
if you have ideas for Mac related tips that you think other TMO readers might find helpful.
- Tue,3:38 PM
- Propellerhead Ships Reason 8 with Emphasis on Drag and Drop Workflow
- 2:24 PM
- The Free Mac Developer Toolkit - 4 Dev Apps for Free
- 1:29 PM
- Apple Will Hold Q4 Conference Call on October 20th
- 1:10 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-09-30
- 11:54 AM
- 4 Cool iOS 8 Photo Extension Apps
- 9:33 AM
- EU Ready to Detail Apple Ireland Tax Investigation, not Impose Fines
- 5:23 AM
- Apple Will Launch iPhone 6 in China on October 17th after Assuaging Chinese Security Concerns
- Mon,7:58 PM
- 3-In-1 Mobile Lens Kit for iPhone 4/4s/5/5s/5c/6/6+ for $24.99
- 7:32 PM
- Facebook Launches Atlas Ad Network to Sell You Elsewhere
- 7:01 PM
- PSA: Some Users Reporting Data Loss with iCloud ‘Reset All Settings’
- 6:14 PM
- Laurene Powell Jobs 28th Wealthiest American, 4th Richest American Woman
- 5:45 PM
- Apple Releases Shellshock Security Update for Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion