Consolidating iTunes Libraries
TMO Quick Tip - Consolidating iTunes Libraries
by , 7:30 AM EDT, October 27th, 2006
Not everyone has the luxury of nearly limitless storage space for their iTunes library, and even if you do, it's kind of tough to cart around terabytes of storage when your primary computer is a laptop. Thanks to iTunes 7's Consolidate Library feature, you can add music and videos to iTunes even when your music library hard drive isn't available.
Let's say, for example, you use a MacBook Pro, and your iTunes library lives on a large external hard drive that stays behind when you travel. While you are out and about, you add a new CD you just bought to your iTunes library. Now you have two libraries: One on the hard drive that stays on your desk, and another on your MacBook Pro's built-in hard drive.
When you get back to your desk, here's what to do:
- Reconnect your iTunes library hard drive to your Mac.
- Launch iTunes 7.
- Choose Advanced > Consolidate Library.
Putting your iTunes libraries back together.
iTunes 7 will move the library from your MacBook Pro and add it to the library on your external hard drive.
if you have ideas for Mac related tips that you think other TMO readers might find helpful.
- Fri,8:45 AM
- Yosemite: Maximizing Windows & the Green “Stoplight” Button
- Thu,7:17 PM
- Meijer, the CurrenctC/MCX Member Who Refuses to Block Apple Pay
- 6:36 PM
- Get Free Bitcoins with 52 Website Faucets that Really Pay [Update]
- 5:17 PM
- Last Chance for The Bluetooth Shower Speaker: $39
- 5:09 PM
- CES Rebrands iLounge Pavilion as iProducts, Hopes to Attract Macworld Expo Exhibitors
- 2:13 PM
- Apple Reverses PCalc Decision; App and Widget Can Stay
- 1:29 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-10-30
- 11:36 AM
- Microsoft Joins the Fitness Tracking Game with Fitness Band
- 9:52 AM
- Tim Cook’s Gay Coming Out is a Big Deal for Equal Rights
- Wed,9:37 PM
- MCX Holds Press Conference, Does Itself No Favors
- 7:30 PM
- ACM 278: Apple is the New Microsoft and Thinking Differently about iPhone
- 6:43 PM
- Apple: Widgets Can’t Calculate, Orders Featured Calculator Widget Removed