Improving iChat Connection Reliability
TMO Quick Tip - Improving iChat Connection Reliability
by , 7:30 AM EST, February 14th, 2007
If iChat is giving you connection headaches, the problem may not be in iChat - it could be the server port iChat is using. In many cases, simply changing the port fixes all kinds of issues, and it's easy to do. Here's how:
- Launch iChat. It's in your Applications folder, and probably also in your Dock.
- Make sure your iChat status is set to Offline.
- Choose iChat > Preferences.
- Select Accounts.
- Click the Server Settings tab.
- The default port is 5190. Change that to 443.
- Close the Preferences window.
iChat's default server port is 5190.
Port 443 tends to be more reliable.
Many people report that they have much better luck initiating an iChat connection, experience fewer random dropouts, and are able to start video chats far more reliably after changing to port 443.
[Thanks to Seth at Small Dog Electronics for reminding me about the alternate iChat server port.]
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Thu,8:36 PM
- Apple Takes iWork for iCloud out of Beta, Open to Everyone
- 7:53 PM
- This Is Why You Should Set Up Philips Hue LED Smartbulbs
- 7:15 PM
- Apple Rumored to Bring Touch ID to Macs
- 4:40 PM
- Last Chance To Save 55% On The Code Black HD Camera Drone
- 3:54 PM
- FCC Reclassifies Internet Providers in Net Neutrality Vote
- 1:51 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-02-26: Apple Spring Forward Media Event, Net Neutrality
- 12:27 PM
- Apple Invites Media to March 9th ‘Spring Forward’ Event
- 11:14 AM
- Brikk to Sell Diamond-coated Apple Watch for $75K
- 10:37 AM
- Build Your Own LEGO Oscars Statue
- 9:07 AM
- Apple Products Dropped from China Government Buy List
- 1:53 AM
- Tim Cook Reportedly Showers with Apple Watch, Suggesting It’s Waterproof
- Wed,9:30 PM
- Apple CEO Tim Cook to Give Commencement Speech at George Washington University