Improving iChat Connection Reliability
TMO Quick Tip - Improving iChat Connection Reliability
by , 7:30 AM EST, February 14th, 2007
If iChat is giving you connection headaches, the problem may not be in iChat - it could be the server port iChat is using. In many cases, simply changing the port fixes all kinds of issues, and it's easy to do. Here's how:
- Launch iChat. It's in your Applications folder, and probably also in your Dock.
- Make sure your iChat status is set to Offline.
- Choose iChat > Preferences.
- Select Accounts.
- Click the Server Settings tab.
- The default port is 5190. Change that to 443.
- Close the Preferences window.
iChat's default server port is 5190.
Port 443 tends to be more reliable.
Many people report that they have much better luck initiating an iChat connection, experience fewer random dropouts, and are able to start video chats far more reliably after changing to port 443.
[Thanks to Seth at Small Dog Electronics for reminding me about the alternate iChat server port.]
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Wed,2:22 PM
- Guest Pass for iOS 7 Allows Access to Your Wi-Fi Network Without Revealing the Password
- 1:25 PM
- Parallels Announces Desktop 10 for the Mac with Yosemite Support
- 1:07 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-08-20
- 10:58 AM
- RunKeeper Wants to Give You Presents for Working Out
- 9:44 AM
- Analyst: No Apple iWatch this Year
- 8:45 AM
- 3 Handy Tips to Make Preview More Productive
- Tue,10:07 PM
- Apple’s Stock Sets Record Closing High, Market Cap Record Still Waits
- 8:23 PM
- Week of Who, Day Two: Doctor Stew
- 4:22 PM
- Last Chance for Duracell Bundle: 100 AA and 50 AAA Batteries for $56
- 3:55 PM
- Steve Ballmer Quits Microsoft’s Board, Will Focus on Clippers and Study
- 2:35 PM
- OS X: Delete the Annoying ‘Move to Dropbox’ from Contextual Menus
- 1:35 PM
- Shares of $AAPL Top $100, Flirt with Record Closing High