Improving iChat Connection Reliability
TMO Quick Tip - Improving iChat Connection Reliability
by , 7:30 AM EST, February 14th, 2007
If iChat is giving you connection headaches, the problem may not be in iChat - it could be the server port iChat is using. In many cases, simply changing the port fixes all kinds of issues, and it's easy to do. Here's how:
- Launch iChat. It's in your Applications folder, and probably also in your Dock.
- Make sure your iChat status is set to Offline.
- Choose iChat > Preferences.
- Select Accounts.
- Click the Server Settings tab.
- The default port is 5190. Change that to 443.
- Close the Preferences window.
iChat's default server port is 5190.
Port 443 tends to be more reliable.
Many people report that they have much better luck initiating an iChat connection, experience fewer random dropouts, and are able to start video chats far more reliably after changing to port 443.
[Thanks to Seth at Small Dog Electronics for reminding me about the alternate iChat server port.]
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Tue,7:41 PM
- Bad News, FBI: Apple Hires Security Pro Jon Callas
- 5:30 PM
- How Apple Got Ready For an iPhone With an OLED Display
- 5:09 PM
- Writing the ‘Apple Music Letter’ Was Taylor Swift’s Bravest Thing She’s Done
- 4:46 PM
- ZeroLemon 64GB iMemStick: $79.99
- 1:31 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-05-24: New MacBook Pros this Fall, Spotify’s New Pricing
- 11:41 AM
- No New MacBook Pro Until Fall, but it’ll be Really Cool
- 10:25 AM
- Star Wars as an Infographic is Fantastically Awesome
- 9:15 AM
- El Capitan: Adjust Safari’s Reader Settings
- 8:00 AM
- Rob Enderle Calls Apple ‘Desperate’
- Mon,8:40 PM
- Dubious Study Says Fitbit Sucks at Heart Rate Tracking
- 6:16 PM
- Chance the Rapper Sounds the Changing of the Guard on Apple Music and Streaming