Thesaurus, Mac OS X Style
TMO Quick Tip - Thesaurus, Mac OS X Style
by , 7:30 AM EDT, September 12th, 2007
I've mentioned before how you can check a word's spelling or definition quickly with the dictionary that's part of Mac OS X. What I didn't mention is that you can use the same trick to get at the built in thesaurus -- after a quick settings change, that is.
By default, your Mac's Dictionary application shows spelling and definitions. Here's how to change that default to the thesaurus:
- Launch Dictionary. It's in your Applications folder.
- Choose Dictionary > Preferences.
- Now drag Oxford American Writers Thesaurus above New Oxford American Dictionary. The top most option is always the default.
- Close the Preferences pane.
The top listed option is always the default in Dictionary.
Now any time you use the Command-Control-D keyboard shortcut, you'll see a list of synonyms instead of spelling and definitions.
Thanks to TMO reader Edward Humes for asking.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Wed,5:28 PM
- How to Pair Bluetooth Headphones with Your Apple TV
- 4:40 PM
- Pay What You Want for the Learn to Code Bundle
- 4:27 PM
- ACM 334: Apple’s Mac Pro vs. The Devil’s Advocate
- 4:20 PM
- Apple is Doing Something That Could Accidentally Torpedo the iPad Pro
- 2:08 PM
- Sponsor: New MacX DVD Ripper Pro Giveaway
- 1:40 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-11-25: Apple’s Plans for Faceshift
- 1:32 PM
- Apple Commercial: Someday At Christmas - Stevie Wonder + Andra Day (Video)
- 9:58 AM
- Apple Buys Star Wars-related Facial Recognition Company Faceshift
- 9:01 AM
- iOS 9: Using Mail Markup with Photos
- Tue,10:16 PM
- 20% Off iTunes Cards
- 8:45 PM
- PSA: If You’re Having Network Troubles, Turn Off Wi-Fi Calling