Thesaurus, Mac OS X Style
TMO Quick Tip - Thesaurus, Mac OS X Style
by , 7:30 AM EDT, September 12th, 2007
I've mentioned before how you can check a word's spelling or definition quickly with the dictionary that's part of Mac OS X. What I didn't mention is that you can use the same trick to get at the built in thesaurus -- after a quick settings change, that is.
By default, your Mac's Dictionary application shows spelling and definitions. Here's how to change that default to the thesaurus:
- Launch Dictionary. It's in your Applications folder.
- Choose Dictionary > Preferences.
- Now drag Oxford American Writers Thesaurus above New Oxford American Dictionary. The top most option is always the default.
- Close the Preferences pane.
The top listed option is always the default in Dictionary.
Now any time you use the Command-Control-D keyboard shortcut, you'll see a list of synonyms instead of spelling and definitions.
Thanks to TMO reader Edward Humes for asking.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Fri,9:32 AM
- Apple Adds Humana, UnitedHealth to HealthKit Discussions
- 8:45 AM
- OS X Finder: Customize Your Desktop
- Thu,8:02 PM
- Week of Who, Day Four: Inspector Spacetime
- 6:52 PM
- Apple Releases Keynote 6.2.2 with ‘Stability Improvements’
- 6:45 PM
- Apple Releases iMovie 10.0.5 for iCloud and iMovie Theater
- 6:27 PM
- Antminer S3 453 GH/s Bitcoin Mining Rigs Improve Energy Efficiency
- 6:13 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-08-21
- 5:20 PM
- Apple’s Stock Holds Above $100 with New Record Close
- 3:52 PM
- Five Deals on Mac Apps: TuneUp, TwistedWave, Stuffit Deluxe, Elite Keylogger, Crossover
- 2:20 PM
- An iPhone Veteran Evaluates an Amazon Fire Phone
- 10:29 AM
- 3 Free iPhone Apps for Ordering from the Starbucks Secret Menu
- 9:02 AM
- Samsung Doesn’t Have to Pay Apple Attorney Fees Because iPhone wasn’t Famous