Breaking the iPhone Sync Blues
iPO Quick Tip - Breaking the iPhone Sync Blues
by , 7:30 AM EST, February 4th, 2008
Occasionally your iPhone or iPod touch starts syncing when you connected it to your Mac only to drop out of the sync process. Even worse, once the cycle stops, it continues every time you plug your handheld in. This fix is fairly easy, but you won't find it in iTunes.
You'll know if you are suffering from this little headache because your iPhone or iPod touch will begin the sync process, but stops unexpectedly. iTunes will display a dialog warning you that your handheld stopped communicating and the sync process was cancelled. Here's how to break the cycle and sync as normal again:
- Connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your Mac.
- After the sync process fails, launch iSync. You can find it in your Applications folder.
- Select iSync > Preferences.
- Click the Reset Sync History button.
- iSync will display a dialog explaining what happens when you reset the sync history. Go ahead and click the second Reset Sync History button.
- Quit iSync.
iSync is the key to restoring the sync process.
The Reset Sync History button
Now you should be able to sync your iPhone or iPod touch again without any hassles. Since your sync history has been reset, your first post-reset sync may take longer than you expect. Depending on how much information is stored on your handheld, that could be a few extra seconds or several minutes.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Tue,9:30 PM
- David Sparks Debuts ‘Workflow Video Field Guide’ for iOS Automation
- 9:11 PM
- Gartner Says Apple Beat Samsung in Smartphones in December Quarter
- 5:38 PM
- Nissan-Renault CEO Says Apple Car Is ‘Good News for Us’
- 5:08 PM
- White Hat Security Hacker Bundle: $49
- 2:34 PM
- $415M Settlement in Apple, Google Anti-poaching Case gets Preliminary OK
- 1:23 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-03-03: Google’s MVNO Plans, Apple Pay Scammers
- 11:45 AM
- iOS 8: How to Set Up Your New iPad or iPhone - Those Questions!
- 9:52 AM
- Google Ready to Launch it Own Cell Service Network
- 9:04 AM
- Pebble Adds Steel to its New Time Smartwatch Lineup
- Mon,10:49 PM
- Apple’s World Gallery Highlights iPhone 6 Photographs
- 10:30 PM
- Samsung Innovation: Samsung Pay and an iPhone 6 Lookalike
- 7:33 PM
- Dragon Dictate for Mac 4: $99.99