Scrolling in Background Windows
TMO Quick Tip - Scrolling in Background Windows
by , 2:00 PM EDT, April 18th, 2008
Scrolling up or down in document or Finder windows is something we do every day, and it's a task that doesn't have to be limited to the currently selected window. You can scroll through non-selected, or background, windows, too, and it doesn't involve crazy origami finger positions, either.
If you have a Mac laptop that supports two-finger scrolling, just place the mouse pointer over the window you want to scroll through. Now use the two-finger trackpad scrolling shortcut to move up or down through the window. This trick works with mice that support window scrolling, too.
Position the pointer over the window you want to scroll, no need to select the window first.
I use this trick when I am researching information on the Internet. I can scroll up or down through a Web page while taking notes in OmniOutliner or BBEdit without having to first jump back to my Web browser.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Wed,9:18 PM
- Apple Campus 2 Will Have Full Blown Visitor Center with Store, Cafe, Observation Deck
- 8:30 PM
- ACM 317: T-Mobile’s Crazy iPhone Deal, Fitness Tracking Accuracy, Listener Comments
- 7:25 PM
- iFixit Pro Tech Screwdriver Set and Jimmy Bundle: $59.95
- 3:10 PM
- How to Pre-authorize Your iPhone to Use Apple Pay
- 12:58 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-07-29: Fitness Tracker Accuracy, Logitech’s new Mouse
- 10:15 AM
- Photoshop CS6 Stragglers Out of Luck for Camera Raw Updates
- 8:55 AM
- iOS: Deleting Siri’s Training Data
- Tue,8:06 PM
- Buy iPhone 6 from T-Mobile Now, Swap for iPhone 6s for Free, Apple Music Exempt from Data Limits
- 7:10 PM
- CoMacadore Plus - Mac OS 6.0.1 Running on an Amiga 500
- 6:11 PM
- Your Fitness Tracker May be Wrong, but that Doesn’t Make it Bad
- 5:55 PM
- The Surreal Selfie Stick (Video)
- 5:30 PM
- Logitech’s MX Anywhere 2 Mouse is a Joy to Use