Scrolling in Background Windows
TMO Quick Tip - Scrolling in Background Windows
by , 2:00 PM EDT, April 18th, 2008
Scrolling up or down in document or Finder windows is something we do every day, and it's a task that doesn't have to be limited to the currently selected window. You can scroll through non-selected, or background, windows, too, and it doesn't involve crazy origami finger positions, either.
If you have a Mac laptop that supports two-finger scrolling, just place the mouse pointer over the window you want to scroll through. Now use the two-finger trackpad scrolling shortcut to move up or down through the window. This trick works with mice that support window scrolling, too.
Position the pointer over the window you want to scroll, no need to select the window first.
I use this trick when I am researching information on the Internet. I can scroll up or down through a Web page while taking notes in OmniOutliner or BBEdit without having to first jump back to my Web browser.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Mon,8:25 PM
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Congrats Denver Broncos with Tweet
- 8:15 PM
- Firewatch Release on February 9th for Mac, Windows, Linux, PlayStation 4
- 7:53 PM
- Intego Warns of Fake Flash Update that Installs Scareware
- 5:30 PM
- Infographic for Spotting Fake Apple Watches
- 5:00 PM
- TMO Background Mode: Interview with The Wirecutter’s Editor at Large Glenn Fleishman
- 4:34 PM
- AppDelete Uninstaller for Mac: $4
- 2:33 PM
- Apple Files for Mistrial in VirnetX Patent Infringement Case
- 1:19 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-02-08: Apple’s Error 53, Future Apple Watch Sensors
- 11:05 AM
- Apple Quietly Rolls Out 2013 Mac Pro Video Repair Program
- 10:16 AM
- Apple: Error 53 is About Security, not Bricking iPhones
- Sun,4:17 PM
- MGG 591: If You Had a JBOD Would You Hold It Against Us?