Scrolling in Background Windows
TMO Quick Tip - Scrolling in Background Windows
by , 2:00 PM EDT, April 18th, 2008
Scrolling up or down in document or Finder windows is something we do every day, and it's a task that doesn't have to be limited to the currently selected window. You can scroll through non-selected, or background, windows, too, and it doesn't involve crazy origami finger positions, either.
If you have a Mac laptop that supports two-finger scrolling, just place the mouse pointer over the window you want to scroll through. Now use the two-finger trackpad scrolling shortcut to move up or down through the window. This trick works with mice that support window scrolling, too.
Position the pointer over the window you want to scroll, no need to select the window first.
I use this trick when I am researching information on the Internet. I can scroll up or down through a Web page while taking notes in OmniOutliner or BBEdit without having to first jump back to my Web browser.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Mon,12:40 PM
- Three Ways to Protect your Apple Watch (and One Way Not To)
- Sun,12:15 PM
- MGG 603: Pronunciation, Rants and The Joy of a Smaller Phone
- Fri,6:10 PM
- An Open Letter to Phil Schiller about iPhones, iPads, and Macs
- 5:30 PM
- New Products Apple Might Give Us While We Wait for the Car
- 4:42 PM
- Nomad Pod Portable Apple Watch Battery Pack: $33.95
- 4:40 PM
- FBI Director in the Dark on iPhone Hack Details
- 2:36 PM
- How to Select Single Pics from Burst Photos on Your iPhone
- 1:30 PM
- SolarTab Portable Solar Panel is a Bright Spot in Outdoor Charging Solutions
- 12:00 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-04-29: Kicking Off a New Apple Conference
- 9:15 AM
- Changing Your Wi-Fi Channel for Improved Speed
- Thu,7:59 PM
- Carl Icahn Isn’t Wrong about Apple in China
- 5:54 PM
- House Passes Email Search Warrant Bill