Leopard: Tracking Down Login Items
TMO Quick Tip - Leopard: Tracking Down Login Items
by , 7:30 AM EDT, April 25th, 2008
I've previously mentioned that Mac OS X 10.4 includes a clever feature that shows exactly where each of the items are that auto-launch every time you login to your user account. Mac OS X 10.5 includes a similar feature, but it goes a step further and can even reveal each item in the Finder.
To see the path to a login item in Tiger and Leopard, do this:
- Launch System Preferences. You can get at it quickly by choosing Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Select the Accounts Preference Pane.
- Click the Login Items tab.
- Now hover your mouse over any of the items in your Login Items list to see the path to its location on your hard drive.
...to reveal them in Leopard's Finder.
To jump directly to an item's location, Leopard users can Control-click and choose Reveal in Finder. A new Finder window will open showing the path to the Login Item you selected.
This is handy when you aren't sure what an auto-loading item is for, or when you want to find an item that you need to move or delete from your hard drive.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Tue,6:40 PM
- Apple’s Tim Cook Says iPad Sales Behind IBM Partnership
- 6:20 PM
- Apple: iTunes is the Fastest Growing Part of Our Business
- 5:23 PM
- Apple to Shareholders: You get 47 Cents!
- 4:35 PM
- Apple Posts Record June Quarter and 20% EPS Growth [Update]
- 3:27 PM
- MacSparky Field Guide: Presentations Released
- 2:37 PM
- Universal Car Mount w/360 Degree Adjustable Fit for $14
- 2:21 PM
- Petition Demands Samsung Improve Factory Conditions, 40K Signatures
- 1:33 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-07-22
- 11:16 AM
- Samsung’s Ad Message: It’s Time for New Marketing Tactics
- 10:18 AM
- AAPL Q3 2014 Earnings Report Set for Tuesday Afternoon
- 9:50 AM
- Netflix Adds Post-Play Feature to Apple TV
- 12:36 AM
- ‘Stickers’ Apple Commercial Highlights User Love for MacBook Air