TMO Quick Tip - Change Dictionary's Default View to Panel
by , 7:30 AM EDT, May 19th, 2008
I've mentioned Dictionary's panel view before, which is a handy tool for checking spelling and definitions in your documents. If you prefer Dictionary's panel view to its standard application window, it's an easy switch -- and you don't have to rely on the Command-Control-D keyboard shortcut.
You can change Dictionary's contextual menu view.
By default, Mac OS X launches the Dictionary application when you choose the Look Up in Dictionary contextual menu option. To change Dictionary's behavior so it displays the panel view instead, do this:
- Launch Dictionary. It's in your Applications directory.
- Choose Dictionary > Preferences.
- Select the Open Dictionary panel radio button.
Select Open Dictionary panel from Dictionary's Contextual Menu option...
...to change from app view...
...to panel view.
Now Mac OS X will display the Dictionary panel instead of the Dictionary application window when you highlight a word in a document and select the Look Up in Dictionary contextual menu option. You don't have to switch applications to check definitions or spelling, and you don't have to wait for Dictionary to launch.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Tue,9:30 PM
- David Sparks Debuts ‘Workflow Video Field Guide’ for iOS Automation
- 9:11 PM
- Gartner Says Apple Beat Samsung in Smartphones in December Quarter
- 5:38 PM
- Nissan-Renault CEO Says Apple Car Is ‘Good News for Us’
- 5:08 PM
- White Hat Security Hacker Bundle: $49
- 2:34 PM
- $415M Settlement in Apple, Google Anti-poaching Case gets Preliminary OK
- 1:23 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2015-03-03: Google’s MVNO Plans, Apple Pay Scammers
- 11:45 AM
- iOS 8: How to Set Up Your New iPad or iPhone - Those Questions!
- 9:52 AM
- Google Ready to Launch it Own Cell Service Network
- 9:04 AM
- Pebble Adds Steel to its New Time Smartwatch Lineup
- Mon,10:49 PM
- Apple’s World Gallery Highlights iPhone 6 Photographs
- 10:30 PM
- Samsung Innovation: Samsung Pay and an iPhone 6 Lookalike
- 7:33 PM
- Dragon Dictate for Mac 4: $99.99