TMO Quick Tip - Change Dictionary's Default View to Panel
by , 7:30 AM EDT, May 19th, 2008
I've mentioned Dictionary's panel view before, which is a handy tool for checking spelling and definitions in your documents. If you prefer Dictionary's panel view to its standard application window, it's an easy switch -- and you don't have to rely on the Command-Control-D keyboard shortcut.
You can change Dictionary's contextual menu view.
By default, Mac OS X launches the Dictionary application when you choose the Look Up in Dictionary contextual menu option. To change Dictionary's behavior so it displays the panel view instead, do this:
- Launch Dictionary. It's in your Applications directory.
- Choose Dictionary > Preferences.
- Select the Open Dictionary panel radio button.
Select Open Dictionary panel from Dictionary's Contextual Menu option...
...to change from app view...
...to panel view.
Now Mac OS X will display the Dictionary panel instead of the Dictionary application window when you highlight a word in a document and select the Look Up in Dictionary contextual menu option. You don't have to switch applications to check definitions or spelling, and you don't have to wait for Dictionary to launch.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Fri,2:29 PM
- 6-Ft MFi-Certified iOS Lightning and micro USB Convertible Charging Cable: $21
- 1:41 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-12-19
- 11:02 AM
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls BS on BBC iPhone Factory Film
- 9:11 AM
- McDonald’s Supersizes Sales with Apple’s iBeacon Tech
- Thu,8:09 PM
- BBC Films ‘Apple’s Broken Promises’ for Worker Conditions in Pegatron iPhone Factory
- 6:20 PM
- Save 96% on The World’s Largest iOS 8 + Swift eLearning Bootcamp
- 5:30 PM
- Apple Pay Expansion Worldwide Will Have Vast Repercussions
- 2:07 PM
- The Story Behind Apple’s ‘The Song’ Commercial (Video)
- 1:43 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-12-18
- 11:29 AM
- iOS 8 Mail: Customizing Swipe Gestures
- 9:08 AM
- Apple Raises $20M in 2014 Product (RED) Campaign
- Wed,5:50 PM
- Hit List 2.0 Task Manager Checks Off Syncing, iPhone 6 Interface