TMO Quick Tip - Change Dictionary's Default View to Panel
by , 7:30 AM EDT, May 19th, 2008
I've mentioned Dictionary's panel view before, which is a handy tool for checking spelling and definitions in your documents. If you prefer Dictionary's panel view to its standard application window, it's an easy switch -- and you don't have to rely on the Command-Control-D keyboard shortcut.
You can change Dictionary's contextual menu view.
By default, Mac OS X launches the Dictionary application when you choose the Look Up in Dictionary contextual menu option. To change Dictionary's behavior so it displays the panel view instead, do this:
- Launch Dictionary. It's in your Applications directory.
- Choose Dictionary > Preferences.
- Select the Open Dictionary panel radio button.
Select Open Dictionary panel from Dictionary's Contextual Menu option...
...to change from app view...
...to panel view.
Now Mac OS X will display the Dictionary panel instead of the Dictionary application window when you highlight a word in a document and select the Look Up in Dictionary contextual menu option. You don't have to switch applications to check definitions or spelling, and you don't have to wait for Dictionary to launch.
Jeff Gamet is TMO's Morning Editor and Reviews Editor. He lectures, teaches and speaks on Mac OS X and design-related topics, and is the author of The Designer's Guide to Mac OS X from Peachpit Press.
if you have tips or tricks to share, or Mac-related questions you want answered.
- Tue,8:30 PM
- Class-Action Suit Against Apple for Alleged Labor Violations
- 8:04 PM
- Apple Buys 29 Companies (plus Beats) in 21 months, 5 Since March
- 6:40 PM
- Apple’s Tim Cook Says iPad Sales Behind IBM Partnership
- 6:20 PM
- Apple: iTunes is the Fastest Growing Part of Our Business
- 5:23 PM
- Apple to Shareholders: You get 47 Cents!
- 4:35 PM
- Apple Posts Record June Quarter and 20% EPS Growth [Update]
- 3:27 PM
- MacSparky Field Guide: Presentations Released
- 2:37 PM
- Universal Car Mount w/360 Degree Adjustable Fit for $14
- 2:21 PM
- Petition Demands Samsung Improve Factory Conditions, 40K Signatures
- 1:33 PM
- TMO Daily Observations: 2014-07-22
- 11:16 AM
- Samsung’s Ad Message: It’s Time for New Marketing Tactics
- 10:18 AM
- AAPL Q3 2014 Earnings Report Set for Tuesday Afternoon